Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but I have a question regarding HDTV/DirecTV receivers and a stand alone TiVo.

Can I hook up a stand alone TiVo to an HDTV/DirecTV receiver? If so, can I record both DirecTV channels AND any OTA HDTV local channels that the receiver decodes? I realize that anything I TiVo won't be in HDTV, but I'm wondering how the HDTV/DirecTV receivers work with a stand alone TiVo.

I assume that they have an output (S-video?) for DirecTV programming which I can plug into my TiVo. But from what I understand, any HDTV signals are output via component video, and my TiVo doesn't have those inputs. Am I correct in my understanding? If so, then I guess I would only be able to TiVo DirecTV programming. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
5.2.0 Sony VPL-VW95ES, AT Screen, DIY THX-650, B&W 601S2, Fi IB, Integra 3.4, Buckeye 4x, Crest 8200
1,430 Posts
I don't know about other units, but my DTC-100 outputs s-video on all channels including the HD ones.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Mitsubishi SR-HD5 can be switched between Hi-Def Component and S-video outs, so if you leave it on the S-Video setting you CAN record downconverted hi-def on your TiVo. You can't, however, watch it in true HD at the same time.

I understand that most of the currently available HD boxes act in the same way, but elsewhere on this forum it has been reported that the forthcoming Zenith box MAY be able to output both HD and S-Video at the same time.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The DTC100 shares the ability to switch between S Video/Composite and HD (via 15-pin) output.

You will have to set your TiVo to manually record HD material (for example: something off of HDNet) since it won't appear in the TiVo program guide. This is similar to what you have to do to record PPV movies on a SA TiVo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.