AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use a set top HDTV/SDT tuner and capture the signal? most tv tuners/capture cards only let you capture tv from ntsc w/ a coax input. but could i use an s-video input and capture the video at higher resolutions?

thanks....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No, svideo tops out at 480i. Set top boxes and HDTV through an HTPC do not go together. You need an RF 8vsb signal into an HDTV tuner card to get HDTV into an HTPC.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is a great question and one that I wish someone with knowledge would answer. There are a few people beyond us with a similar question.

I have a Explorer 3100HD (supplied from TWC in NYC) that currently connects to my Tivo via RF out (RF in from the cable in the wall goes into the Explorer box). I could also use the SVideo out of the 3100HD to the Tivo SVideo input, but I don't (mainly because the TWC box only has one set of audio outs that I use them to drive the audio of the HD signal - the Tivo adds delay so I have to use the audio outs of the Tivo for watching the Tivo SVideo out - see below).

The Component outs of the Explorer are connected straight to my Plasma monitor. My Tivo box SVideo out is connected to the Plasma SVideo in.

With the above, I can use Tivo to record all of the non-HD channels (0-6XX).

My question is why can't the capture/tuner cards be used in place of the Tivo box. It is not clear why something like the accessDTV card can't be used. I have been going back and forth with their customer support and I'm getting close to an answer. I hope tomorrow I will know definitively.

If this works, then it would let me do everything I want except record/capture HDTV. I would love to do that, but first thing is to replace the Tivo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.