AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wired up a 22" lcd monitor to use as a second siplay. Mostly for times where i just want to program my dvr or use the 360 to stream music. Im using a dvi to hdmi adapter on the lcd monitor going into a monoprice splitter. not a switch but a splitter.

when i powered up the pj i noticed green sparkles on the dark areas fo the screen. I can only assume its the splitter doing this....any solutions?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 35' DVI to HDMI cable from the LCD to the AVR

25' run of HDMI only from PJ to AVR

Splitter is this - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I don't think I saw any artifacts on the Lcd, but i will have to recheck when I get home. It was late and we were starting a movie so I just quickly put the hdmi from the PJ straight into the AVR so we could watch.

and just to be clear, I dont want it to come across that Im bad mouthing your company. not at all. You guys are great to deal with. I'm just trying to get some feedback to see if there is something easly fixed.

DVI Cable - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

HDMI cable - I dont recall at the moment. A monoprice one, ~25'. I think its the flat one cable, not round like the dvi cable

·
Registered
610 Posts
The passive splitter is dividing the signal across 25' and 35' runs of cable. That's like running 60' of cable.

Connect the splitter to your avr, then disconnect the dvi-hdmi cable that is going to your lcd monitor (remove the cable from the splitter). So you should have AVR->Splitter->and only 1 cable running to projector. Now see if you get sparkles with the projector running. Now go to the splitter and move the projector cable to the other port and see if you get sparkles on the projector.

If no sparkles, then the passive splitter is working. You will need a Active/Powered splitter for those cable lengths.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I am not sure if this helps but I also was getting sparkles using a monoprice HDMI switch not a splitter. I only got sparkles with a 1080p/60 signal. 1080p/24 worked fine but 60 gave me sparkles. I ordered an Oppo HDMI switch and that fixed the problem. I now have an Onkyo 886 which handles the switching but the Oppo worked perfectly for what I needed.

I know you are talking about a splitter not a switch but I figured it was worth mentioning my experience with the Monoprice switch. I am not bad mouthing Monoprice. Everything I have bought from them has been excellent. The HDMI switch was the only device that didn't work properly.

·
Vendor
93 Posts
Hi Antwon,

Sounds like a bandwidth issue. The signal is probably not strong enough given the split and the length. The truth is, the passive splitters are not that reliable, especially over length. Most of the times, devices will through up a HDCP issue with that splitter, so the fact that you get a picture means you have some hope. You might try a equalizer, like PID# 2849, to see if you can get the signal back up. These go at the end of the runs and rebalance the signals to extend the range. You might also try to see if you get any better picture at any lower resolutions also. If this doesn't work, your alternative is to try one of our powered splitters.

Regards

·
Vendor
93 Posts
Hi beekermartin,

If your source and display both support 24hz signals, why would you want to go to 60hz. The 24hz refresh rate should give you a smoother picture since your devices won't be required to do a 2:3 pulldown.

Regards

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks. I'll do some testing tonite, and if need be i will purchase a powered splitter.

I currently have a few items from monoprice Im not using....I dont research too well sometimes.....my impulse buying usually means i have a pileof unused stuff after a project

·
Registered
16,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/17057909

What other company does that?

Velodyne
(Curt from Velo is AWESOME, some of the best C.S. I have ever experienced).

Agreed, Monoprice C.S. is excellent as well.

I used a 1x2 passive Monoprice branded switch with about 50' of their 24 AWG HDMI cable's and had no issues with sparklies. Ironically one of their mack daddy 22AWG beasts gave me digital artifacts (sparklies) all over the place, they took care of me in top form however

Jason

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/17057909

There is no way you are going to get a 60 foot run without expensive cables or a signal booster.

Kudos to the monoprice rep for being here to help! What other company does that?

In my defense, I never thought about it this way....since its 2 different runs, I was thinking more along the lines of splitting the signal down the line, not sending the signal down one long run.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01 /forum/post/17055198

If this doesn't work, your alternative is to try one of our powered splitters.

Regards

Which powered splitter would you suggest for say a 35ft run to a PJ and a 10ft run to an LCD? I'm going to have to do this soon. Right now I'm just running the 35ft to the PJ and have zero issues, but I'm going to be adding an LCD soon and will need a splitter. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01 /forum/post/17055212

Hi beekermartin,

If your source and display both support 24hz signals, why would you want to go to 60hz. The 24hz refresh rate should give you a smoother picture since your devices won't be required to do a 2:3 pulldown.

Regards

My Epson 1080 accepts a 24hz signal but displays it at 60hz. The 1080UB accepts and displays a 24hz signal. That is one of the many improvements the 1080UB has over the regular 1080. Unfortunately the 1080ub wasn't in my budget at the time. I am saving up for the 6500ub now.

Some blurays are encoded at 1080p/60, Planet Earth for example. I have my player outputting everything at 1080p/60 since that is what my projector displays. I have a Samsung BD-UP5000 BR/HD DVD player that has an excellent scaler so I let it do the scaling.

Once I get a projector that can display a 24hz signal I will set the player to output that.

·
Vendor
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakihara1 /forum/post/17059929

Which powered splitter would you suggest for say a 35ft run to a PJ and a 10ft run to an LCD? I'm going to have to do this soon. Right now I'm just running the 35ft to the PJ and have zero issues, but I'm going to be adding an LCD soon and will need a splitter. Thanks!

We offer 3 models of 2 way splitters currently and they all seem to be pretty good. PID# 4921 seems to have the highest customer review satisfaction rating but the other two are cheaper.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 /forum/post/17055259

ok thanks. I'll do some testing tonite, and if need be i will purchase a powered splitter.

I currently have a few items from monoprice Im not using....I dont research too well sometimes.....my impulse buying usually means i have a pileof unused stuff after a project

Do tell?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare /forum/post/17061050

Do tell?

go away

conversely, i will now trade you a broken hdmi splitter, and unused lcd mount, a defective rough-in box and a mis-wired switch for your hd player. And I will pay shipping I guess.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 /forum/post/17061159

go away

conversely, i will now trade you a broken hdmi splitter, and unused lcd mount, a defective rough-in box and a mis-wired switch for your hd player. And I will pay shipping I guess.

Throw in the broken front tray piece from your 360 and I'll consider it.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01 /forum/post/17060336

We offer 3 models of 2 way splitters currently and they all seem to be pretty good. PID# 4921 seems to have the highest customer review satisfaction rating but the other two are cheaper.

Excellent, that's the one I'll get then
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts