AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to control my Denon 5803 with a IR signal from a dedicated PC. Can anyone give me an idea where to start? I would like to build a Visual Basic program for the task. I woul like to have the PC learn the IR commands like a Pronto.

Anyone know where to begin?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I'm doing what you are looking to do with an "Ocelot" from Applied Digital (handles the learning and transmitting of the IR as well as X-10) and homeseer software. Basicaly when I push a button on my X-10 wall keypad, Homeseer transmits (through the Ocelot) the IR signals to Turn on TV, Turn or Receiver, Turn on Dish or DVD player...set them all to the correct state, etc. for TV or DVD viewing. My new H/K receiver has rs232 control (which homeseer can do as well) and I am toying with that now because IR has its limitations.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Check out CQC for a full featured automation software suite. I just fininished a 3803 serial driver for the Denon, and it would fairly easy to convert that one to control the 5803/4802 boxes. I'd be happy to do that driver for you if you want to send it to me. Serial control, being two way, is a far superior to IR, so it's good to use it where you can. And CQC has plenty of good IR support as well.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Hai,

Compared to some other denon stuff, the 580x is very easy and complete, The specs are on the US denon site. I can provide examples using girder if you want.

The nice thing is that it provides 2 way control meaning you can your 5803 but it also

provided feedback if something happends to it (say somone turns the volume knob).

example of a netremote skin using this :

http://www.submarine.nl/mmbase/danie...netremote2.jpg

http://www.submarine.nl/mmbase/danie...netremote3.jpg

As you can see once i start the dvd it sees the change and updates its

screen. (these example use rs232 feedback from both 5803 and 2900 dvd

player).

Daniel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.