AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? Is it safe?

Well, I know it's possible because someone over on M-audio forums was doing it, I just wanted to know if I buy a good power amp and want to hold out on a preamp just to act as a TruHD decoder, why not use the built-in DACs of my Asus Xonar DX and output all 7.1 in analog mode directly into a power amp, skipping a pre-amp entirely.

Is anyone else on this forum using this type of setup for their HTPC?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Certainly possible; I have done it several times for extended periods. It can sound just as good as any preamp out there. Just be certain to observe correct turn-on order. PC first, then amp. Turn off order: amp off, then PC.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
It may sounds like a logical thing to do, why have an extra box when not necessary?

I don't like this, because, a PC is a general purpose machine, it does a lot of other things beside audio. Many times, my PC sounds-out lots of thing that I rather not hear and at volumes that I didn't intend to. I don't want to hear Windows' popups, sound effect and what not, on my main audio speakers. Many times too, am doing PC maintenance task, and why should my music stop? my radio goes silent?

BUT if this PC of yours is a dedicated audio PC, then go4rit.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Emotiva MPA-3 instead of Onkyo 807 here I come! Y'all just saved me $$$ from having to buy both

I'm highly dubious about receivers with lower S/N than the analog outs of my $100 PCI-Express sound card.

I already use my PC as the only input to my plasma, my mouse to control the volume and what I'm watching/listening to, so who needs HDMI audio with all the fuss?? I often thought pre-amps were basically expensive potentiometers with dubious benefits. Maybe when I can get one that will give me a 120 + SN ratio on all channels without any extra amp section. Main benefit to the amps on most receivers is to power the rears as far as I can understand, where the extra oopmh doesn't matter much.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I have an amp directly hooked to my PC, will every notch in volume on the computer result in a HUGE increase in sound?

I know there are a few volumes already in a sound card mixer, but I just wanna know if a single unassuming shift will result in a such a massive boost in volume as to be unusable.

My girlfriend uses the PC too, occationally going onto youtube and sometimes the sudden volume increase can sound like a jackhammer. I don't want to be an every day occurrence.

·
Registered
708 Posts
are you using xp or vista. if you go into control panel and sounds > click 'no sounds' that will get rid of all the 'windows' sounds. if you are using xp, keep the wav volume low, I have my xonar D2X directly to an emotiva lpa-1 with windows vista, the volume stays around 20 percent or so for movies, however, I've had it up to 50 for jam out sessions.

1 thing to consider is a htpc case with a volume knob on the front, or get one of those 5.25" addon's with remote control and volume knob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts