AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading a lot of forums it sounds important to have a center speaker match the mains. Unfortunately my mains are Epi 100Vs from the 80's with no center built to match it. I was looking to buy some more Epi's on eBay (there are some 100M's on it now). Now the question, I could just use one as the center, but it would waste one. Would it make sense to buy a simple speaker selector, only use the R or L input, and then use two outputs? Both speakers are going to be under the TV so it hopefully won't distort center.

·
Registered
578 Posts
have you tried using a phantom center configuration if your receiver allows it? Just set fronts to yes and center to no and see if the stereo imaging of dialogue is satisfactory. For discrete sources like 5.1, center information is sent to .. well a center.. If you have no center, setting it such will send the center information to BOTH left and right.. splitting a signal for one and then using that as a center would definitely be worse than just using a phantom center config.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I think my default would be just use one new main as the center speaker, but I might try a phantom center as well. I guess a more appropriate question is is it worth it to try working out a configuration for double the drivers operating. I realize it might cut the power to each speaker, but thought I could deal with that by adjusting the receiver output.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
Using two systems for any single channel is a bad idea as it will result in interaction and irregular radiation and imaging. Use one. Keep the other for a spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts