AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7.1 system and wanted to ask what others set the fronts, sides and rears at with an SPL,,


is it advisable to have them all at the same level or fronts higher, sides a tad lower and rears a little lower than the sides,,??


curious what others have determined to be the best settings,,


thanks


Derry


fronts Altec Voice of Theater

center Def Tec 2500

sides Def Tec 7002

back Def Tec BXP

sub SVS pb13 ultra


receiver is Marantz SR9600
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry /forum/post/18263568


I have a 7.1 system and wanted to ask what others set the fronts, sides and rears at with an SPL,,


is it advisable to have them all at the same level or fronts higher, sides a tad lower and rears a little lower than the sides,,??


curious what others have determined to be the best settings,,


thanks


Derry


fronts Altec Voice of Theater

center Def Tec 2500

sides Def Tec 7002

back Def Tec BXP

sub SVS pb13 ultra


receiver is Marantz SR9600

A good starting point would be zero for your viewng seat, than fine turn to your tasts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the Marantz auto system to set all the spekers with the microphone at the main seating station,, when I chek them with the spl meter thay are different by a few DBs,,


thanks


Derry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry /forum/post/18267929


I used the Marantz auto system to set all the spekers with the microphone at the main seating station,, when I chek them with the spl meter thay are different by a few DBs,

So, which one do you trust?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the SPL meter,,


ran it again last night to balance them all out and could hear the difference,, in Dark Night there were scenes that I felt as though I was sitting in the center of the action which I never had when using the Marantz for auto set up,,


when two identical speakers register three and four DB difference with the meter in the same location in front of each speaker it is hard to see how the meter would be wrong,,


I know I like the sound envelop better using the meter,,


Derry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry /forum/post/18270827


the SPL meter,,

Really? I generally do not unless the meter is calibrated and the test signals are defined/controlled.

Quote:
when two identical speakers register three and four DB difference with the meter in the same location in front of each speaker it is hard to see how the meter would be wrong,,

That is dependent on the radiation characteristics of the speakers and the spatial sensitivity of the meter. Besides, one should be measuring each of the speakers from the same position, the listening position, rather than from "the same location in front of each speaker." In addition, the aiming of the meter/mic is critical.

Quote:
I know I like the sound envelop better using the meter,,

That's a different kettle of fish.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top