AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a B&K PT3 as my preamp for my 2 channel system. Really like the option of running a sub out of it. I've gotten upgrade-itis and looking to improve on my 2 channel system. Would a good theater preamp such as an Aragon Sondstage be better then the B&K PT3?

I've heard that the Aragon's have great analog sections as the Aragaon stereo preamp is built into the Soundstage. Also have heard the Proceed AVPs are good as well.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken54321 /forum/post/18144400

Currently have a B&K PT3 as my preamp for my 2 channel system. Really like the option of running a sub out of it. I've gotten upgrade-itis and looking to improve on my 2 channel system. Would a good theater preamp such as an Aragon Sondstage be better then the B&K PT3?

I've heard that the Aragon's have great analog sections as the Aragaon stereo preamp is built into the Soundstage. Also have heard the Proceed AVPs are good as well.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

It would be difficult for most people to say if one is better than the other since I would guess most have not compared the two in your system.

I don't see any reason why the Aragon would sound worse. It may sound different, but that doesn't mean better or worse.

Honestly, the B&K you have is a nice little pre-amp. I think you would get more bang for your buck in upgrades by looking at other parts of your system (I don't know what you have). Perhaps room treatments would improve your system more?

If it is because you are looking to add home theater to your system, then I couldn't say, I have not used the Aragon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/18146399

It would be difficult for most people to say if one is better than the other since I would guess most have not compared the two in your system.

I don't see any reason why the Aragon would sound worse. It may sound different, but that doesn't mean better or worse.

Honestly, the B&K you have is a nice little pre-amp. I think you would get more bang for your buck in upgrades by looking at other parts of your system (I don't know what you have). Perhaps room treatments would improve your system more?

If it is because you are looking to add home theater to your system, then I couldn't say, I have not used the Aragon.

Not interested in home theater. This is purely for a 2 channel system. I want to use a home theater preamp because I want to use a sub in my system and really like the additonal inputs a home theater preamp has. (Plus generally have a better remote with HT preamp.)

Right now my 2 channel system consists of the followig:

1. B&W CDM9 spekaers

2. NHT SA-3 Sub amp with a Passive HF Dayton 8" sub in an NHT cabinet.

3. B&K PT3 Preamp

4. Harman Kardon Citation 5.1 power amp. (bridgeable option, but not running bridged....yet.)

5. Apple Ipod Dock

6. Denon DVD-5910ci for SACD, HDCD and Cd

7. Onkyo DV-sp1000 for SACD and CD just for those times I want to use it instead of the Denon.

8. Pioneer Elite PDRW-19 Recordable CD player

9. Adcom GDA 6000 DAC (All 3 cd players hooked up to it, but don't really use it.)

10. Spent money on Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables.

11. MIT Terminator 2 cables and Monster reference cables for the ICs

Speaker set up, almost equilateral triangle 6 feet a part with listening distance being about 6 feet apart from each speaker.

Its in a small sitting room. So the couch I sit on is right up against the wall. I hung a rug on the wall. (I was surprised that it actually improved imaging.)

The equipment sits between the speakers and under a window with curtains. The sub is to the right of the couch. Thinking about adding Auralex sound panels where the windows are.

The room has lots of windows but curtains always covering. Carpeted floor. Right speaker only about 18" from the right wall. The Left speaker has no left walll as it opens into the bedroom.

I'm looking to improve the sound. Basically, i want the speakers to disapper, the soundstage to rise, and the decay to be longer/more realistic.

I had heard a magnepan system with dcs gear and I believe Mark Levinson amps at the local Hi-End store and was in absolute awe. Went to another store that had home made speakers in a solid alluminum cabinet with ribbon tweeter and 6" driver. The imaging was great, and the speakers disappered; it sounded like the music was playing behnd and above those speakers. Didn't have the decay of the dcs system and had some grain. Otherwise both systems sounded better then mine. One substantially more expensive and the other about the same price.

How do I fix/upgrade?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
My preference is for pure analog preamp. No digital volume control. No digital switching, but relay's can be OK. But you already have that. I know the disease. How about investigating room treatments this time around? Give those CDM's a chance to show what they can do. Real absorbers on the front wall can do more for imaging than unlimited dollars in electronics. A bass trap does more for impact than any amount of eq. My view, others may differ.

I am also a fan of far more serious DIY subs. I have never heard a store bought sub I could stand. Any sub, any price. You can only get the low distortion and smooth blend with much bigger and heavier boxes. A pair of Shiva's maybe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/18172554

My preference is for pure analog preamp. No digital volume control. No digital switching, but relay's can be OK. But you already have that. I know the disease. How about investigating room treatments this time around? Give those CDM's a chance to show what they can do. Real absorbers on the front wall can do more for imaging than unlimited dollars in electronics. A bass trap does more for impact than any amount of eq. My view, others may differ.

I am also a fan of far more serious DIY subs. I have never heard a store bought sub I could stand. Any sub, any price. You can only get the low distortion and smooth blend with much bigger and heavier boxes. A pair of Shiva's maybe.

Funny that you told me to give the CDMs a chance as tonight I was starting to consider replacing them with 804s or Martin Logans. In the end, that's a lot more than I want to spend, but I hear that speakers make the biggest difference.

I think I will try more room treatments. Problem is that there is only so much I can do tastefully before WAF sets in. This is the sitting room off of the Master bedroom. By the way, the sitting room is only 12 x 10, but then on the left sid it opens up into a 15 x 15 bedroom. Just wondering what the lack of reflection on the left side compared to a right side reflection is doing to the sound quality.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken54321 /forum/post/18171216

Not interested in home theater. This is purely for a 2 channel system. I want to use a home theater preamp because I want to use a sub in my system and really like the additonal inputs a home theater preamp has. (Plus generally have a better remote with HT preamp.)

?

Not even close to being true ! ........I'm using an ARC LS-26, it's got everything you mention and more. with two 'outs' from my pre I simply run one pair of IC's to my monoblock amps and another pair to my powered sub.

Simply put....if 2 channel is your thing (it is mine) than an HT pre/pro is a WASTE OF MONEY ......that could be more wisely spent elsewhere.......as 'taoggniklat' said in his post !

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 /forum/post/18176811

Not even close to being true ! ........I'm using an ARC LS-26, it's got everything you mention and more. with two 'outs' from my pre I simply run one pair of IC's to my monoblock amps and another pair to my powered sub.

Simply put....if 2 channel is your thing (it is mine) than an HT pre/pro is a WASTE OF MONEY ......that could be more wisely spent elsewhere.......as 'taoggniklat' said in his post !

I have to agree as well

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 /forum/post/18176811

I guess I'm just more famililar with the home theater gear. What are decent brands of 2 channel preamps? Seems like everything I've looked at has limited number of inputs 5 or 6 or doesn't have a sub out. But you're right the other set of outs can be used and just have the sub do the low pass crossover.

The only reason I'm looking at the older / used ht preamps is that they are actually cheaper. For example, you can pick up an old pro logic preamp for a fraction of their retail, even early generation processors are inexpensive these days. For example, I can get a $4k processor, the Aragon Soundstage which is suppose to have their highly regarded 2 channel preamp built into it for only around $700 in the used market. On the other hand the 2 channel gear in the same price range from the same time period retains its value alot more. Is there anything inherently wrong with a pro-logic preamp/early digital processor that would not suit it well for 2 channel? How much would I have to spend to get a 2 channel preamp to be equivalent to the Aragon Soundstage?

I know this is an overbroad question which I doubt there is a formula to, but would buying a $4k ht preamp (like the Soundstage) be equivalent to a $2k 2 channel preamp, or more equivalent to a $500 2 channel preamp (my current B&K PT3)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.