AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Samsung 82Q90R / Pioneer Elite 5.1.2 / Denon AVRS730H
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build an acoustically transparent screen for my theater. I want to know if it's better to just buy a speaker built specifically for the center channel rather than a third tower.

I've seen dream theater builds with a "massive wall of sound" behind the AT screens, and the centers for these builds look like they're using a L/R for the center. These speakers were above my budget, and therefore I don't know if they build massive centers that just look like a tower.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I'm looking to build an acoustically transparent screen for my theater. I want to know if it's better to just buy a speaker built specifically for the center channel rather than a third tower.

I've seen dream theater builds with a "massive wall of sound" behind the AT screens, and the centers for these builds look like they're using a L/R for the center. These speakers were above my budget, and therefore I don't know if they build massive centers that just look like a tower.
If you can afford it and have adequate space for it, go for it. There is no better option as that would be the acoustic ideal.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Nothing much else to add, that is the best of all possible setups.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Is there any concern when doing this...that a chunk of the middle speaker (on the tower) will be higher than ear level? If the screen is "X" distance off the floor, the speaker has to be completely above that so it isn't pushing sound into the frame?

I'm looking into doing this. Trying to figure out what I want to do.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Here's some good information, with links for more reading:

There are a few considerations to balance.
It's nice when the sound comes from the picture.
On the other hand, some speakers sound different too far below their intended listening height.
If that is a problem, you can use room correction and/or tilt the speakers forward.

If the screen is too high, you can have a problem with sore necks. You can find recommendations about ideal heights for screens.

·
Registered
18,424 Posts

Use JBL Studio 570 or 590, both on massive discounts currently at jbl.com --- jaw dropping bargains, really.

Reactions: DigitalMovs

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
Is there any concern when doing this...that a chunk of the middle speaker (on the tower) will be higher than ear level? If the screen is "X" distance off the floor, the speaker has to be completely above that so it isn't pushing sound into the frame?
Don't know why people always overestimate how low to the ground their screens have to be. Mine is 40" off the ground and I've never had any problems with it. That's ample space to put a 3rd tower in the middle.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I'm looking into doing this. Trying to figure out what I want to do.
I have 3 KEF R7 towers behind my AT screen. I chose to raise them off the floor by about 20" or so in order to have the drivers above the bottom of the screen frame and roughly centered inside the screen frame. This results in the tweeters being above head level for those in the front row of seats and being right in line with head level for those in the 2nd row. For this setup the 2nd row is the prime row, and I like the way dialog seems to come from actors on the screen rather than below them. At some point I may rotate the boxes that the towers are on so they are about 6"- 8" lower than at present, but so far have not had any need to do so.

Regards,
Steve

Reactions: DigitalMovs

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I like to use a stack of 8" and 4" thick cinder blocks as speaker stands, wrapped in black velvet. It's perfect behind an AT screen. Cheap. Extremely solid. You can adjust the height. Just wear some work gloves when you move more than a couple, so they don't tear up your hands.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know why people always overestimate how low to the ground their screens have to be. Mine is 40" off the ground and I've never had any problems with it. That's ample space to put a 3rd tower in the middle.
I'm glad @bungi43 asked that as well. I was wondering if something designed to sit on the floor to be at a good listening position level would be negatively affected when you raise them, thus going over the seated listener.

I guess you're saying the cone of sound is more forgiving than that.

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
The "best" possible solution requires 3 factors:
  1. 3 identical front speakers.
  2. All 3 mounted at the same height.
  3. All 3 the tweeters at ear level.
When placing an acoustically transparent screen in front of the speakers, avoid having the frame directly in front of any of the drivers.

Know the acoustic properties of the AT screen material. Some are more "transparent" than others. Woven screens are generally more acoustically transparent than perforated or micro-perforated screens. However, woven screens generally are lower gain than perf'd or micro-pref'd screens, so there is a trade-off. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines for speaker-to-screen distance, and use EQ as required to offset the effects of the screen. Also, toe-in can be affected by the screen material, with some materials being less transparent to sound that hit's the screen at an angle. Woven screens are generally better at this than perf'd/micro-perf'd.

If you would like further information about specific speaker selections or placements, or about AT screens and their speaker interactions, please provide the speakers you are considering as well as the screen material you are planning to use. In addition, information about the screen frame and any false wall configuration you are planning would be helpful to know.

Also, if you plan more than 1 row of seats, you'll need to calculate screen placement vs. riser height to ensure correct line-of-sight for the 2nd row. You don't want to have heads or seatbacks blocking the bottom of the screen for 2nd row viewers.

Craig

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
I'm glad @bungi43 asked that as well. I was wondering if something designed to sit on the floor to be at a good listening position level would be negatively affected when you raise them, thus going over the seated listener.

I guess you're saying the cone of sound is more forgiving than that.
Well, you don't want to have the center so low to the ground that you have to tilt it up at some crazy 70 degree angle just to have the tweeter aiming at ear level where you sit. Ideally the tweeter should not require more than a 10-30 degree tilt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The "best" possible solution requires 3 factors:
  1. 3 identical front speakers.
  2. All 3 mounted at the same height.
  3. All 3 the tweeters at ear level.
When placing an acoustically transparent screen in front of the speakers, avoid having the frame directly in front of any of the drivers.

Know the acoustic properties of the AT screen material. Some are more "transparent" than others. Woven screens are generally more acoustically transparent than perforated or micro-perforated screens. However, woven screens generally are lower gain than perf'd or micro-pref'd screens, so there is a trade-off. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines for speaker-to-screen distance, and use EQ as required to offset the effects of the screen. Also, toe-in can be affected by the screen material, with some materials being less transparent to sound that hit's the screen at an angle. Woven screens are generally better at this than perf'd/micro-perf'd.

If you would like further information about specific speaker selections or placements, or about AT screens and their speaker interactions, please provide the speakers you are considering as well as the screen material you are planning to use. In addition, information about the screen frame and any false wall configuration you are planning would be helpful to know.

Also, if you plan more than 1 row of seats, you'll need to calculate screen placement vs. riser height to ensure correct line-of-sight for the 2nd row. You don't want to have heads or seatbacks blocking the bottom of the screen for 2nd row viewers.

Craig
Thanks for your detailed answer. Bookmarked. (y)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I actually wasn't, which is why I asked. I don't plan on mine being right on the floor. I didn't want half my speaker to be sunk below the screen, if that makes sense.
So my bigger question was in line with how high up off the floor is too high for a tower speaker.

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
I actually wasn't, which is why I asked. I don't plan on mine being right on the floor. I didn't want half my speaker to be sunk below the screen, if that makes sense.
So my bigger question was in line with how high up off the floor is too high for a tower speaker.
Just have the tower on the floor, and the bottom of the screen right above it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just have the tower on the floor, and the bottom of the screen right above it.
I'll probably do the best I can. I'm a bit limited with ceiling height where I'm building...so I have to make sure I have clearance for 2nd row.
Appreciate the advice/suggestions.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
One of the advantages of having your screen up a bit higher, e.g. just above the top of the tower speakers, is that you don't need to elevate 2nd row seating in order for those seated in the 2nd row to have an unobstructed view of the screen.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts