AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC is using a WD blue 250gb drive and I need to upgrade it. With prices where they are, I was thinking of going with a 1TB WD green drive. The biggest advantages of course are the low heat and noise. Downside is performance.

I am just wondering how much these guys really affect performance.

My undertanding has always put this in terms of performance components.

CPU=/>GPU>Memory>HDD

While the primary function of my HTPC is for the "normal" stuff like optical, TV and media, I do occasionally do light gaming on it such as Guild wars and maybe even AOE III or something. I can't imagine this drive will really affect these games much. After all, 3-4 years ago, I was using a 5400 IDE on a gaming rig of mine.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't game on my HTPC, but I use a 1TB green WD drive and it works perfectly. Streams all my content, records without any hiccups, works like it should. I wouldn't expect any problems with light gaming.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
I have a WD 640GB Green - absolutely no problems. I love it. Plays everything that I throw at it.

My HTPC is so quiet that I have to check the light to see if it is on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No problems at all using a WD Green drive. It isn't going to blow your mind with its performance, but it is more than sufficient as a HTPC boot/media drive.

Justin

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use one. No complaints at all. I have a 2TB and I partitioned 80GB for the system and the rest for media. Works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts