AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys might be able to tell me what is going on. My GF's family recently installed a cable modem into their home where there was no cable before. As they began to mess around with channels on the television, we found channels 59,60,61, and 70 come in on CERTAIN TVS (of 7 tvs, only the 1998 RCA and a 1992 Toshiba receive the signal). The channels turn out (fortunately) to be Sci-Fi, History Channel, HGTV, TVland. How is it that we are getting these signals and would there be any way to enhance the effect when we only pay for the cable modem and did not select TV?

I've gone through multiple TVs and only the previously mentioned 2 will pick up the channels when cable is selected as the line. Could it be a certain frequency is leaking through on the cable connection that specific models are somehow picking up? I've yet to hook up an older "manual" tuning TV that might allow me to adjust via a knob to see if other channels are available. Has this happened to anyone else before? Could a TV channel "amplifier" perhaps effect more channels working?

Any help would be appreciated, more curious about how this works than the free channel feeds.

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
Here's my guess....

The two TV that get those channels are 'cable ready' TV's, but are setup for "ANtenna". In the setup menus change the antenna input to "Cable" and search for channels. You'll possibly get all analog cable channels.

The other TV's do not have cable ready tuners. If you select "UHF" yo may be able pick them on the UHF band.

Many times... when people subscribe to 'Internet" service, the cable provider doesn't install a trap to block the channels. Or... if they did install a trap, some channels are leaking through.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The trap Ratman refers to is the noise filter used to allow the passing of cable modem freqencies, but block any unpaid cable channels from entering. Two other ways are used to control programming, a high pass filter, mostly used for HBO and Skinimax. The third is controlling the channels from the provider. Remove the traps and filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the the help guys, I'll check into the trap aspect of the cable connection. I know the channels are coming in when "cable" is the selection chosen on the two successful TVs rather than the "antenna" selection. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locke500
Any help would be appreciated, more curious about how this works than the free channel feeds.
They aren't "free". What was once a curiosity, now it seems as though you are trying to amplify signal to steal cable.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yup. Now tha tyou know what is going on, trying to figure out how to get more channels or better quality out of those channels is plainly stealing of the signal...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Damn his eyes! set up a cross and crucify him! I cannot believe the audacity of locke500 wanting to make the best of his situation. He should call up and get an appointment for thought reprogramming. We must all hail and bow before the mighty media distribution companies. Thank goodness he didn't actually say that his customer service experience wasn't great (like said by someone else in another post commented on by members of the same cable/sat provider fanboy hitsquad as this thread) or you guys would have him in Gitmo by now. Lighten up. Perhaps informing him of his indiscretion is better than burning him as a witch?

-Trouble

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
Perhaps you should lighten up?

Innocent or guilty of cable theft? The jury is still out.

IMO... it passes the 'duck test'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.