AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are like me, and you built your theater based on the more common designs here, then you probably have a good 10' to 15' of open space in your HT between your first row of chairs and the screen. Anybody doing anything creative to utilize this space?

I have a very nice Octagon shaped Bumper Pool/Felt Poker Table that I can't seem to fit well into my game room. But it would fit perfectly in the space in front of my first course seating, between the chairs and screen in the HT. It's fairly low profile, so I don't think line of sight would be an issue, although I don't know for certain, as it is currently in storage in my parent's basement.

If it met the line of sight criteria, how bad would it be to locate it in front of the seating. Would it be too much of a distraction for watching movies? Would it adversely affect accoustics (my center channel is above the screen, and it would not interfere with the L/R channels)? It was just a thought, but maybe a bad one. Crazy or doable?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Hmm - I don't think of it as wasted space. Let's just call it "overflow seating".

I guess if you don't have a sightline problem and you're unafraid of sticks and flying balls around your screen and equipment, the it's up to you. Is it really that much space?

R

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the speakers are hidden and behind false walls, so no worries there. Although, a pool cue against the screen...Now that would be frightening. The biggest reason I want it is for the Monday night Poker games, so, no pool playing in that case.

Alot of space? Well, it's 13' from screen to the front of my first row, so that's 14' x 13' of unoccupied space.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Try setting up a piece of plywood the same size as the table, at the same height, on sawhorses or whatever works, and see if it distracts from movie-watching.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry,

Good Idea.

BigmouthinDC,

Slot car racing...Now that sounds like a cool idea. I could see building a low covered platform that houses the racetrack when not in use. I haven't raced slotcars in 20 years. Thus, what's new in SCracing? Has the technology changed much? What's a good brand that allows switching lanes, etc?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BIGmouthinDC

suggested uses:

Model train set

Slot car racing track
At my house, it's www.rokenbok.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.