AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There is some strange clipping in the red channel. You have to figure out what is causing this. How many modes did you run Autocal in? Switch to an uncalibrated mode and see if it has the same issue.

Also, your colour space setting in HCFR should be Rec709, not sRGB, although that's not the cause of the problem.
View attachment 3107039
Thanks Dom, I'm just re importing my init file to see if any changes.. Then I'll do the same measurements and send the file again. Thank you

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There is some strange clipping in the red channel. You have to figure out what is causing this. How many modes did you run Autocal in? Switch to an uncalibrated mode and see if it has the same issue.

Also, your colour space setting in HCFR should be Rec709, not sRGB, although that's not the cause of the problem.
View attachment 3107039
Hi Dom,

I tried again, this time (after loading the. init file to the projector)

Projector Settings:

Content Type: SDR
Picture Mode: Natural
Color Profile: BT.709
Gamma 2.2

Low Lamp Iris full open

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Also after importing the init file again just now I ran a log and clearly the gamma is off which means all my previous calibration were probably OK. I'm re calibrating user 1 now to see if results will be good. Here are the log calibration results after Re importing the init file.

I'm starting to think that autocal is actually doing a successful job but not actually saving it to the projector despite saying it is...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
So these are the results after calibration which shows a great gamma of 2.2 and colour temp..The only odd thing I noticed is when I pressed save to projector it starts writing at 24% but does complete. Now saving to projector then I will do a log calibration and check the results one last time.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
Also after importing the init file again just now I ran a log and clearly the gamma is off which means all my previous calibration were probably OK. I'm re calibrating user 1 now to see if results will be good. Here are the log calibration results after Re importing the init file.

I'm starting to think that autocal is actually doing a successful job but not actually saving it to the projector despite saying it is...

I'm not sure why you're saying that. The gamma was 1.7 pre-autocal and 2.2 post-autocal, so the calibration must have been saved.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
I think the output from your computer video card is screwing things up. Do you have a calibration disc that you can do the same reading on (say 60 IRE) on the test disc and then compare it to the output from your computer. I think your video card is doing something wonky to the signal.

Reactions: mkohman

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
And finally the log calibration after the calibration shows the exact same corrected results so really I have no idea why HCFR is not showing the corrected RGB levels....

Delete the ColorHCFR.ini file in the HCFR folder (not JVC Autocal ini file), and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm not sure why you're saying that. The gamma was 1.7 pre-autocal and 2.2 post-autocal, so the calibration must have been saved.
Thats what I am thinking but I am talking about my RGB levels not showing as accurate in HCFR

Please see attached I did another Gamma and Primary and Secondary Colour Measurement. You can see Red is too high and Blue is way Low in this graphs but Autocal showing it correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think the output from your computer video card is screwing things up. Do you have a calibration disc that you can do the same reading on (say 60 IRE) on the test disc and then compare it to the output from your computer. I think your video card is doing something wonky to the signal.
Possibly. I will have to try in another computer

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just in case : did you actually hit the SAVE button at the end of the Autocal runs ? If not the autocal mods are not committed and thus not available to HCFR subsequently.

Also do you remove all your manual colour and gamma corrections in the projector before doing autocal ?
Autocal does not use them when doing the actual patch measurements, but applies them when doing the secondary Log only patch measurements so that the compound effect shows in the logs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
On User1 profile my JVC N5 (RS1000) autocal calibration in DCI-P3 is working for few hours. After that, my gamma become totally wrong and my color are not correct.
There is a bug with user profile, at least on my unit.
BUT in REC2020 it is working (then I create a 3dlut in DCI-P3 inside REC2020 thanks to displaycal and madvr)
In natural mode (rec709) all is working perfectly

Can you try to calibrate your projector on another profile and check the results?

Also please verify your HCFR settings. For rec709 / 1080p content it should be like this:

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
In lieu of using your computer to generate images, I suggest you go this route: Dedicated Raspberry Pi PGenerator Thread (Set-Up -...

It's output in RGB is bit accurate and eliminates issues with computer video cards. I built one myself and use it to calibrate my JVC and its output matches what the JVC autocalibration puts out. When all is said and done, I need to make minute adjustments after autocal to get a damn near perfect calibration.

Reactions: mkohman

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #515 (Edited)
In lieu of using your computer to generate images, I suggest you go this route: Dedicated Raspberry Pi PGenerator Thread (Set-Up -...

It's output in RGB is bit accurate and eliminates issues with computer video cards. I built one myself and use it to calibrate my JVC and its output matches what the JVC autocalibration puts out. When all is said and done, I need to make minute adjustments after autocal to get a damn near perfect calibration.
You can get bit-perfect patterns even with Intel laptop video cards, as long as they are set up correctly. Having said that, I may be interested in PGenerator if they port it to Raspberry Pi 4.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
Just did it now and tried. The RGB on the left is off. Also delta error showing 30

Your measurements correspond to a colour temperature of 4700K, which is very yellow compared with 6500K. It should be readily apparent (visually) whether the reading is credible.
As suggested previously, it's best to use a separate display for the HCFR user interface, and not the device being calibrated. Also, using madTPG introduces any level of complexity on top of other unknowns.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just in case : did you actually hit the SAVE button at the end of the Autocal runs ? If not the autocal mods are not committed and thus not available to HCFR subsequently.

Also do you remove all your manual colour and gamma corrections in the projector before doing autocal ?
Autocal does not use them when doing the actual patch measurements, but applies them when doing the secondary Log only patch measurements so that the compound effect shows in the logs.
Thank you for your input. Yes I definitely hit save every time Autocal finishes and yes I always reset the manual RGB corrections.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your measurements correspond to a colour temperature of 4700K, which is very yellow compared with 6500K. It should be readily apparent (visually) whether the reading is credible.
As suggested previously, it's best to use a separate display for the HCFR user interface, and not the device being calibrated. Also, using madTPG introduces any level of complexity on top of other unknowns.
Hi Dom, I will do this for sure as soon as I source another laptop. Thank you again!

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Hi Dom, I will do this for sure as soon as I source another laptop. Thank you again!
Is your current computer a laptop? If so, I see no reason to use the projector screen for HCFR.

501 - 520 of 580 Posts