AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the forum, but I searched and could not find it.

I have a 5040 with lifetime service activation. I currently am connected to a router which is in turn connected to a DSL modem. There is no phone line anywhere near my Replay and I plan to keep it that way. However, my DSL is shoddy at times (I'm right at the limit where they stop providing service) and has gone out for a couple days at a time on occasion. I am wondering if I still will be able to use my Replay without any connection to the central server. I know I won't get Channel Guide updates during this time, but that's fine for a few days, since it goes 12 in advance. I have just seen so many posts about needing activation to do ANYTHING, and was wondering if that meant the Replay needs a connection to contact the central server constantly, or if once a unit is activated, it can be used offline for most functions.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your unit will work just fine without a nightly connection, since it is activated. As you point out, it will not get the most current guide data until the next connection, but if that does not affect your recordings, you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
You *may* have some clock creep, since about the first thing it does when it connects iis set the clock. It's been reported many times that the internal clock has a lot of creep in many units. So, you might be a few seconds off on recording things. If you don't connect for a week or so, that gets worse, of couse.

There was some mention of even activated units needing to connect, but I think it was only for the guide and clock info.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
As long as your are lifetime activated, your only worries for not connecting

frequently are clock drift and guide data. Your unit will still continue to

function.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.