AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic question, do the HDTV Receivers provide NTSC output (via SVideo) of the HD content? There is some unique-to-HD programming I'm very interested in, but I don't want (and can't afford) to upgrade to an HDTV just yet.

Thanks much.

Rich B.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rich - You will get better PQ, but make sure to set the STB output format is 4:3

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm using a Samsung 151 (off of Ebay) right now with my Analog 32" TV. The picture is beautiful! My wife and I are mesmorized by the PBS broadcasts! The new DLP comes next week and we can't wait. I think, even with an anlog set, it's worth it!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't be fooled by sales people trying to tell you that you need an HD capable set to use the set top box. I got in quite the argument with a salesman at the goodguys who tried to tell me that the Sony HD100 would not work with a standard definition set.

Of course, what else is he going to tell me? He wants to sell the higher priced TV as well.

And if you set the output for 4x3 letterbox, you get the widescreen of HD, albeit at much lower resolution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm considering buying a closeout E* 6000 to use with my analog TV as well.

I would love to do away with the overly compressed E* signal, and/or multi-path ghosting via my antenna.

Are the networks that are offering hd programming broadcasting digitally most of the time?

Do you guys think the pq improvement on an analog set is worth the $349 cost of a 6000 plus ota module?

Thanks,

Dean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by landlocked
I'm considering buying a closeout E* 6000 to use with my analog TV as well.

I would love to do away with the overly compressed E* signal, and/or multi-path ghosting via my antenna.

Are the networks that are offering hd programming broadcasting digitally most of the time?

Do you guys think the pq improvement on an analog set is worth the $349 cost of a 6000 plus ota module?

Thanks,

Dean
I spent $600 on my 6000+OTA a few years ago, and haven't regretted it. Still watching HD on my 35" analog Toshiba TV.

Of course, being spoiled by tivo, I had to get an HTPC with a Hipix card so I could fast-forward through commercials! :p

Steve (CoffeeBreath!)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Most affiliates broadcast a studio-quality upconvert when there's not HD programming on their digital channel. It looks a lot better than analog OTA or cable. So even non-HD stuff looks markedly better via digital.

You should get near DVD quality most of the time from OTA stations, in my experience, but this will obviously depend on the quality of the individual station's transmitting equipment.

Worth it for $349? That's up to you...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.