AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around quite a bit and can't find anything close to this at this price point, and it appears that I'm getting the best of both worlds: a customizable pc and a small HTPC (12" x 4"). A hybrid.

Specifically, I'm looking at the HP Slimline s5650z:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

AMD Athlon II 250 dual-core processor [3.0GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus]

4GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM

640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

TV tuner, ATSC-NTSC with PVR, remote

$479

Then I'll add an Asus Radeon 5550 1GB video card for $29 AR from Newegg. I can add BluRay and a better sound card later if I want.

Is there anything out there better for the price? I couldn't even build it myself for much less, I don't think. Looking through these forums, couldn't really find anyone using the HP Slimline, so makes we wonder if I'm missing something.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbono
Is there anything out there better for the price? I couldn't even build it myself for much less, I don't think.
If you need the Windows 7 license, pre-built is cheaper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd
If you need the Windows 7 license, pre-built is cheaper.
I'm sure you meant "if I don't need the W7 license". But I actually like the W7 media center and want W7 for games, so yeah, I need it. Every component I listed, I need. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I have an older HP Slimline (hp s3330f????), one that came with a Blu-ray drive and discrete video card. It works fine. I would suggest going with an Nvidia card though, just because ATI cards interfered with the computer going to sleep on my older version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
I have an older HP Slimline (hp s3330f????), one that came with a Blu-ray drive and discrete video card. It works fine. I would suggest going with an Nvidia card though, just because ATI cards interfered with the computer going to sleep on my older version.
Hmm, that could be a concern. I've already bought the ATI card. Hopefully they've fixed that problem in the newer cards.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
The card I bought was new, about two month ago. The original Nvidia card failed.. The new one was a fanless HD 5400. When the ATI didn't work I bought a Nvidia 210 and it worked fine.

The rest of your proposed computer is so much different that it may not be a problem. Do note, however, mine is running Win7, so that's not different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
The card I bought was new, about two month ago. The original Nvidia card failed.. The new one was a fanless HD 5400. When the ATI didn't work I bought a Nvidia 210 and it worked fine.

The rest of your proposed computer is so much different that it may not be a problem. Do note, however, mine is running Win7, so that's not different.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely watch for it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbono
I'm sure you meant "if I don't need the W7 license".
No, I meant what I said. If you need the Windows 7 license going pre-built (as in Dell, HP, Acer, etc) is cheaper. If building your own, it's possible to get just the hardware for less but factor in $100 for Windows 7 Home Premium and buying pre-built suddenly becomes cheaper than building.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd
No, I meant what I said. If you need the Windows 7 license going pre-built (as in Dell, HP, Acer, etc) is cheaper. If building your own, it's possible to get just the hardware for less but factor in $100 for Windows 7 Home Premium and buying pre-built suddenly becomes cheaper than building.
Sorry, I read your post wrong. You are most certainly correct.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts