AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a new computer build for later in April. I'm thinking about basing it on an Intel i3 530 cpu.

CPU Intel i3 530

Motherboard ASRock H55M Pro

2 gigs ram

Windows 7

How good is this cpu at ripping bluray discs using makemkv?

I will be ripping the main movie and a 5.1 DTS or AC3 audio track.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone /forum/post/18223009

I'm planning a new computer build for later in April. I'm thinking about basing it on an Intel i3 530 cpu.

CPU Intel i3 530

2 gigs ram

Windows 7

since u choose i3 chipset (even core2 duo is good for bluray playback,backup, burning)

i3 cpu is good but i would invest in mobo for future upgrades maybe for i5,i7 processors

2gb is pretty good enough

min 400watt psu and good graphic cards i would go for gt series more than 8 series maybe 9 or gts sries evn

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would I not want to just use the on CPU graphics of the i3 CPU chip?

It has hdmi out. I would assume its fast enough for decoding 1080P

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Yes you are right the graphics on the cpu will be fine for 1080p. No games though, at least not any new ones.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only games that gets played at my house are my daughters playing SIMs and games on Facebook.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Quote:

CPU Intel i3 530

2 gigs ram

Windows 7

Ripping ain't a thing. It's transcoding that needs CPU power. After what I saw with my ATI 4350 handling Blu-Ray playback I think any CPU will get the job done.

The Boxee box uses dual core ARM9 like a telephone but it will handle anything thanks to the GPU.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using the I3 on an Intel DH55HC, 4 gb of ram, Windows 7 64 bit. Just using the board's video. Hasn't missed a beat playing or ripping. Actually, dvds look better playing from the HTPC than they did on the Sony player I had previously.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71 /forum/post/18223531

Ripping ain't a thing. It's transcoding that needs CPU power. After what I saw with my ATI 4350 handling Blu-Ray playback I think any CPU will get the job done.

The Boxee box uses dual core ARM9 like a telephone but it will handle anything thanks to the GPU.

I hope you are right about the boxee box as several sources are reporting that the hardware won't be able to handle more than 10 mbit/s for 1080p h264. Also i recall that that popbox vs boxee box head to head video was only a 10 mbit/s stream. Can't wait for the hands on to see what the boxee is capable of.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:

CPU Intel i3 530

2 gigs ram

Windows 7

As SXR71 said previously, since you are looking to use MakeMKV and not re-encode you should be fine. If you have plans to re-encode to 720p or even to decrease the file size at 1080p then an i3 is going to be painful. Encodes could take anywhere from 6-12 hours depending on what are you doing.

Edit: I noticed you are looking at 2GB RAM. I would recommend given how inexpensive RAM is to consider 4GB. It will make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:

CPU Intel i3 530

2 gigs ram

Windows 7

I rip Blurays all day long with my i3. You don't need that much power to do this stuff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Whats your average ripping time? Also transcoding?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I use MakeMVK and I'd say average Bluray is probably 20-30 minutes. No big deal to me, it's ripping when I'm not using it anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoody2016 /forum/post/18255457

Whats your average ripping time? Also transcoding?

I don't have the I3 but have an I5 650, only about $50 more than the I3. A rip of a BR takes about 45 minutes with MakeMKV. The processor hardly even breakes a sweat at less than 10% utilization. Now to encode and compress using HandBreak requires about 1h 50m to 2h for a 30GB file that is reduced to less than 6GB. During this time the cpu is being utilized at 99%. So it's a big job. For a standard DVD 120m file only about 20 minutes to rip and around 1hr+ to encode and compress again utilizing the cpu to the max. If one intends to encode and compress I would suggest the I5 650 3.2Gz cpu for just a little more cost. By the way, the built in graphics of this cpu are stunning. To play MKV's in WMC just download Shark's codecs and check off on his suggested settings. Everything just works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does the Blu Ray Rom speed make a difference when ripping? I was planning on geting the LG BD reader thats 10x. Would rip faster than a reader that is 6x?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickHD /forum/post/18256884

Now to encode and compress using HandBreak requires about 1h 50m to 2h for a 30GB file that is reduced to less than 6GB.

Holy S#$%!!! How are you re-encoding at that speed. I am using an i7 920 @ 4.2ghz and that is the same amount of time it takes me to re-encode a BR rip from 1080p to 720p. What settings are you using and how is the end quality? Can you post the x264 switches you are using?

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/18258103

Holy S#$%!!! How are you re-encoding at that speed. I am using an i7 920 @ 4.2ghz and that is the same amount of time it takes me to re-encode a BR rip from 1080p to 720p. What settings are you using and how is the end quality? Can you post the x264 switches you are using?

Ok, here is Mamma Mia screen shot (x264):
Attachment 169092 Other settinigs are: MKV file, no video filters, audito is AC3 passthru, and forced subtitles only. It is mostly just the default settings. The finished product is very close to the actual blue ray as played through a PS3.

This was the first BR I ever ripped and converted to an MKV. I used MakeMKV for the rip. The ripped file size was 29 Gb and the compressed file size is 5.46GB. Here's what MediaInfo shows of the mkv: Attachment 169096 . It looks like the audio was AAC faac.

You must be creating higher quality video than me. I truly want to say the 2 hr time is what I experienced.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thread of the year? lol? Maybe...

Thank you a lot, I don't game much like I use to and now I'm ripping my blu-rays. I'll go with the I5-650 for sure. Handbrake utilizes more cores when encoding so it should help enormously.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickHD /forum/post/18258572

Balthazar the gif shot was not good. Try this one: Attachment 169097

Any chance you could show me the "Advanced" tab settings you are using in HandBrake. I use Ripbot for BR and HandBrake for DVD, but it will give me a pretty good idea. Ripbot keeps all 8 threads on my 920 pegged so I know it isn't being underutilized. I did notice from the mediainfo shot that you are only using 2 reference frames so that would be one difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/18259546

Any chance you could show me the "Advanced" tab settings you are using in HandBrake. I use Ripbot for BR and HandBrake for DVD, but it will give me a pretty good idea. Ripbot keeps all 8 threads on my 920 pegged so I know it isn't being underutilized. I did notice from the mediainfo shot that you are only using 2 reference frames so that would be one difference.

Here it is: Attachment 169137

My video quality is very good. At my settings, some sd dvd are not great as there is no upscaling as most of us are use to when using a $50 dvd player. Try with two threads for a BR and see if it's acceptable.

Regards

Pick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts