AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JVC have been providing automatic calibration software for various models of their D-ILA projectors. Each projector model requires a specific version of the calibration software; see the list here which I have summarized in post 2:

The software is very effective in compensating for the drift and aging of the projectors' internal components, in particular the lamps and the D-ILA panels. The main limitation of the software is that they support only very specific meters (see post 2), many of which have now become obsolete.

Software developer Steven D. ([email protected]) has come up with a replacement DLL that allows additional meters to be used with the JVC software. The DLL is based on ArgyllCMS, so in principle any meter supported by ArgyllCMS can be used; see the list here:

The software is currently (as of November 2020) still in alpha status. Note that the JVC software has a Log Only mode which reports the measurements of the projector's grey-scale and Primary/Secondary colours without performing the actual calibration, so you can test it without any risk.
The download link is:

EDIT 2020-11-22: Software developer @OMARDRIS has developed alternative patches that uses the x-rite software development kit (x-rite SDK) instead of ArgyllCMS. Supported meters are the i1Display Pro (i1D3) colorimeter and i1Pro/Pro2 spectrophotometers. Additional DLLs are available for Klein Instruments and Jeti meters. See:

This thread is intended only for this aspect of Autocal, and is an information thread, not a support thread. I'm assuming you already know how to run Autocal with the officially supported sensor. Additional discussion threads on JVC Autocal:

Autocal for 2015 models; most of the information is applicable to other recent models of the e-shift projectors:
Discussion thread on older models:
This post will be updated when further details are available.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
List of meters confirmed to be functional with the DLL. As of version 0.1.2, the DLL does not seem to work with the i1Pro2 or the SpyderX, because they require a calibration step prior to reading the patterns. This is being resolved by the developer of the DLL.
It appears that the DLL is not dependent on the version of Autocal; e.g., if the meter works with v9 it should also work with v11.
Please provide feedback on your experience with specific meter, projector model, and version of Autocal software.

YearModelAutocal VersionNative SupportVerified ArgyllCMS Support
2011RS65, X901Spyder3
2011RS65, X902Spyder4
2012RS56/66, X75/953Spyder3
2012RS56/66, X75/954Spyder4
2013RS49/57/67, X500/700/9005Spyder4
2015RS400/500/600, X550/750/9506Spyder4“Irrelevant - Use V7”
2015RS400/500/600, X550/750/9507Spyder5i1Display Pro, Spyder 5, Klein K10, Jeti 1211
RS45008Spyder5, i1Pro2Klein K10, Jeti 1211, delay 1s.
2017RS420/520/620, X570/770/9709Spyder5, i1Pro2i1Display Pro; i1Display Pro Plus (software version unknown)
2018RS440/540/640, X590/790/99010Spyder5, i1Pro2i1Display Pro; Klein K10, Jeti 1211, delay 1s
2019RS1000/2000/3000, NX5/7/911Spyder5, i1Pro2Klein K10, Jeti 1211, delay 1s.
2019RS1000/2000/3000, NX5/7/912SpyderX, i1Pro2Requires v0.1.4 or later

Note: In the table above, where i1Pro2 is listed you can also use the i1Pro. Same for i1Display Pro Plus, where i1Display Pro is listed.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Instructions on using the ArgyllCMS DLL:
  1. Install ArgyllCMS. You can get the latest version of the Windows Executables from Argyll Color Management System Home Page. Unzip the file to a location of your choice. Note: if your sensor is natively supported in Windows (e.g., the x-rite i1Display Pro), you only need spotread.exe and not the full ArgyllCMS.
  2. Make a copy of the JVC Autocal software folder and place it on you desktop as the working copy. Delete the file dccmtr.dll, or rename it to something else for backup.
  3. Download the patch from https://github.com/scyomantion/FakeSensor/releases and unzip it. In most cases you need the 32-bit Win32 version. Make a copy of the FakeSensor.dll file and rename the copy to dccmtr.dll.
  4. Copy all the files in the downloaded folder to the working Autocal folder.
  5. Edit the autocal.ini file to change the path of the spotread.exe command to the location of your spotread.exe inside ArgyllCMS.
  6. Run Autocal. Note that the software still shows the original Spyder meter icon, but when you click on it, the software will use the ArgyllCMS spotread to do the measurements using the actual meter you have.
EDIT 2020-11-22. Instructions on using the x-rite SDK DLL:
  1. Make a copy of the JVC Autocal software folder and place it on you desktop as the working copy. Delete the file dccmtr.dll, or rename it to something else for backup.
  2. Download the x-rite SDK patch from the link provided by the developer and unzip it. You need to contact the developer for the download link: x-rite SDK DLL
  3. Copy all the files in the downloaded folder to the working Autocal folder, overwriting any existing files with the same name if prompted.
  4. Run Autocal. Note that the software still shows the original Spyder meter icon, but when you click on it, the software will use the x-rite meter to do the measurements.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks Dominic. Appreciate your efforts here.

Please forgive my ignorance here... trying to connect the dots.

So the changes are being made in the auto cal software installed on the PC or laptop being used? There are no changes to the JVC firmware required (this no warranty considerations)?

So you aren’t replacing the files, simply renaming it.

You lost me on the ArgyllCMS. Not sure how that factors in. It needs to be installed on the PC as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dominic. Appreciate your efforts here.

Please forgive my ignorance here... trying to connect the dots.

So the changes are being made in the auto cal software installed on the PC or laptop being used? There are no changes to the JVC firmware required (this no warranty considerations)?

So you aren’t replacing the files, simply renaming it.

You lost me on the ArgyllCMS. Not sure how that factors in. It needs to be installed on the PC as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to rename and replace.

I have expanded the instructions to make it clearer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi,
Maybe a hint, which is helpful for the users of the popular sensor "I1Display Pro" (EODIS3) - Retail/OEM/Plus from Xrite.
These sensors are automatically recognized by Windows and installed as "Human Interface Device" (HID).
For these sensors it is not absolutely necessary to install the ArgyllCMS-Driver, because the program "Spotread.exe" recognizes the HID devices and establishes a connection. I have tested this on several computers.
The same applies to the programs HCFR and DisplayCal.
Peter

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tried with the program 'Projector Calibration Software 10 v1.00', it was a failure because I only got the following error message: "Can not detect the sensor try again".
Spotread.exe launch via cmd command run properly

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I tried with the program 'Projector Calibration Software 10 v1.00', it was a failure because I only got the following error message: "Can not detect the sensor try again".
Spotread.exe launch via cmd command run properly
Are you using matching (32 vs 64-bit) versions of spotread and dll? Did the spotread window pop up? Did you name FakeSensor.dll to dccmtr.dll?

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes I use matching 32b for spotread and FakeSenSor.dll rename dccmtr.dll
I run a second trial with the win64 version and got a system error for the dll loading (incorrect format).
I did not see the spotread popup.

@OMARDRIS My sensor is the Xrite I1 Display 3 OEM

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,183 Posts
I have not tested this yet, but I am wondering if ambient mode works with the i1D3 for doing gamma calibration.

Ambient mode meaning the i1D3 takes readings through it's diffusor cover which should help in getting the lowest points of the 33 step Quality gamma calibration nice and accurate.

"Spitread.exe -a" accesses a sensor's ambient mode if it has one.

The i1 Pro 2 also has an ambient mode (with diffusor cap) and could be used for more accurate gamma calibrations probably if it was placed close enough to the lens (useful if this is the only meter someone has access to).

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
)
I have not tested this yet, but I am wondering if ambient mode works with the i1D3 for doing gamma calibration.
I tried that with the previous version of the hack which was not based on ArgyllCMS, and it didn’t work well. I believe others found the same.
I found no advantage of Spyder5 facing lens compared with i1D3 facing screen, even though “gut feel” predicts otherwise.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,183 Posts
)

I tried that with the previous version of the hack which was not based on ArgyllCMS, and it didn’t work well. I believe others found the same.
I found no advantage of Spyder5 facing lens compared with i1D3 facing screen, even though “gut feel” predicts otherwise.
I’m wondering if maybe since it wasn’t ArgyIICMS is why it didn’t work well. To read a meter in ambient mode means it has to interacti with it and read it's numbers differently.

ArgyIICMS works great with ambient mode with the i1D3 in HCFR and DisplayCAL and I have calibrated some projectors fully from the lens this way when I was calibrating then in a pace where there were not going to be installed. So I couldn’t account for the screen anyways.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I used it semi-successfully with an RS500, and hope to test on an RS4500 very soon. Using the Klein K-10, there was a problem with the ultra fast Klein reading before the pattern was fully rendered, and after reporting this, Steven kindly updated the package with a variable delay. I also tried using a Jeti 1211 to do a color only run, which was successful and resulted in much more accurate colors than I have gotten with any Spyder 5 or the i1D3 (using Steven's previous tool). Thankfully, the Jeti wasn't unbearingly slow even with the dark before-after readings of the JVC software (which I wish they would make optional).
I just installed the new version and specified a .3 second delay and can't wait to try it! It is possible that as little as .1 second is needed, so when I have the opportunity I'll try different settings.
I expect even after adding the small delay that the process will be much, much faster with the Klein than either the Spyder or i1D3. Also, being able to use the Jeti for color should eliminate the need for custom color profiles to correct for meter inaccuracy, which can't be done on the newer models in HDR mode.
Big thanks to Steven for this!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maybe the path in the ini file is incorrect if you do not see the popup?
I verify that the path is correct by copy it and then paste and execute this copy in cmd window.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I also tried using a Jeti 1211 to do a color only run, which was successful and resulted in much more accurate colors than I have gotten with any Spyder 5 or the i1D3 (using Steven's previous tool). Thankfully, the Jeti wasn't unbearingly slow even with the dark before-after readings of the JVC software (which I wish they would make optional).
JVC Autocalcal actually has always provided the ability to use a correction matrix
(It's post 991 if the above link does not work properly). I believe this too was discovered by Steven D.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I verify that the path is correct by copy it and then paste and execute this copy in cmd window.
There is now an updated version (0.1.2) which also includes a sensor test. It requires FakeSensor.dll so make sure it's not renamed when running the sensor test. Note that no other application can be using the sensor in the background.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Testing on the RS4500 was not successful. I don't know if maybe I did something different than I did for the RS500, but I spent some time going back over my steps and redoing everything to no avail. An error came up after clicking on the Spyder5 icon. I will probably wait to do more testing until I get back to my RS500 at home.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts