AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is there maybe a space in the path name to spotread.exe? Unfortunately this is not allowed.
Peter
Shame on me, I read too quickly the instructions and thought I have to rename Autocal.ini in dccmtr.ini and then make the modification in dccmtr.ini file.
When corrected and renamed Autocal.ini the JVC Autocal software (2018 JVC V10) works perfectly with my Xrite Display 3 Probe (2012).

Reactions: Dominic Chan

·
Registered
168 Posts
How would we activate a saved profile in the Klein in this process?
Hi,
Please hold on tight, because now it's time for the roller coaster. :D

To give spotread.exe one or more parameters you have to do the following steps:
1. connect the sensor to the computer/Laptop.
2. open the command console (CMD) and go to the directory where the file "Spotread.exe" is located.
3. there you enter the following command (<Enter>) means the Enter key:

spotread -? <enter>

5. then the program shows all options that are possible with the connected sensor. That are very many.

In the case of the Klein K10 and K10-A, for example, these are also all occupied memory locations with the Cal-Files. For each of these memory locations, the Spotread.exe shows a number or a letter that you have to note down. The Factory CalFile 0 is always reserved for the letter "F".

6. once you have noted down the corresponding number or letter, you can leave the console again. In my example, this should be the letter "g" (in my case this was CalFile 35).

7. now we edit the file "autocal.ini" in the following way:

command="drive:\path\spotread.exe" -y g

(drive, path and the correct letter or number must be entered accordingly)
Please note:
The complete path to Spotread.exe must be enclosed in quotation marks !!
the "-y" is the command to switch the display type or CalFile.
the "g" in this example is the Calfile 35 in my K10-A.

I know this is a bit cumbersome, but at least it works with the "sensortest.exe". I do not have a JVC projector here.
It works with other sensors and other parameters, but you really have to check what exactly you have to enter in the autocal.ini first.
Peter

Reactions: Chad B and Manni01

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hi,
Please hold on tight, because now it's time for the roller coaster. :D

To give spotread.exe one or more parameters you have to do the following steps:
1. connect the sensor to the computer/Laptop.
2. open the command console (CMD) and go to the directory where the file "Spotread.exe" is located.
3. there you enter the following command () means the Enter key:

spotread -?

5. then the program shows all options that are possible with the connected sensor. That are very many.

In the case of the Klein K10 and K10-A, for example, these are also all occupied memory locations with the Cal-Files. For each of these memory locations, the Spotread.exe shows a number or a letter that you have to note down. The Factory CalFile 0 is always reserved for the letter "F".

6. once you have noted down the corresponding number or letter, you can leave the console again. In my example, this should be the letter "g" (in my case this was CalFile 35).

7. now we edit the file "autocal.ini" in the following way:

command="drive:\path\spotread.exe" -y g

(drive, path and the correct letter or number must be entered accordingly)
Please note:
The complete path to Spotread.exe must be enclosed in quotation marks !!
the "-y" is the command to switch the display type or CalFile.
the "g" in this example is the Calfile 35 in my K10-A.

I know this is a bit cumbersome, but at least it works with the "sensortest.exe". I do not have a JVC projector here.
It works with other sensors and other parameters, but you really have to check what exactly you have to enter in the autocal.ini first.
Peter
So I can set the .ini to ...\spotread.exe” -a if i want it to use the sensor in ambient reading mode for calibration?

·
Registered
168 Posts
So I can set the .ini to ...\spotread.exe” -a if i want it to use the sensor in ambient reading mode for calibration?
Yes, but then the cosine diffuser must really be folded in front of the lens of the EODIS3.

Reactions: Manni01

·
Registered
168 Posts
How about the i1DisplayProPlus?
Yes, I have tested the I1 Display Pro Plus and it works well.
Unfortunately the I1 Pro2 (spectro) and the SpyderX do not work in this special constellation with the Spotread.exe in the background at the moment.
With the SpyderX this is unfortunate because the Spyder5 is only available as a used version and the AutoCal for the older JVC projectors does not support the SpyderX.

Reactions: zacjones

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Unfortunately the I1 Pro2 (spectro) and the SpyderX do not work in this special constellation with the Spotread.exe in the background at the moment.
With the SpyderX this is unfortunate because the Spyder5 is only available as a used version and the AutoCal for the older JVC projectors does not support the SpyderX.
I was able to get the SpyderX to work but it was kludgy. I had to change the autocal.ini to
command="C:\Argyll_V2.1.2\bin\spotread.exe" -N​
and comment out the line
environment=ARGYLL_NOT_INTERACTIVE=1​
and keep hitting the Enter key manually for each reading.

However, that does seem to indicate that only minor changes in the code is necessary (when Steven has time to look into it).

I’m not sure why ArgyllCMS requires black level calibration (which is causing the issue). The Datacolor software does not seem to require it.

EDIT:
I was also able to get the i1Pro2 to work with 0.1.2, with the autocal.ini changed to
command="C:\Argyll_V2.1.2\bin\spotread.exe" -N -e
and comment out the line
environment=ARGYLL_NOT_INTERACTIVE=1

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yes, I have tested the I1 Display Pro Plus and it works well.
You mean you can't get the i1 Pro 2 to work with this .dll at all (for example for use with older autocal before the i1 Pro 2 was natively supported?)

I was actually curious how the white tile calibration step works with this method too.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
You mean you can't get the i1 Pro 2 to work with this .dll at all (for example for use with older autocal before the i1 Pro 2 was natively supported?)

I was actually curious how the white tile calibration step works with this method too.
V0.1.3 added a flag “calibration=0/1” to prompt the user to place the meter on the white tile for calibration. However, as of now it’s still not working properly. The author does not have the meter so that makes it hard to troubleshoot.
EDIT: I was able to get v0.1.2 to work with some changes in autocal.ini.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It works with ArgyllCMS so should work.
Thanks Dominic. I was just confirming the i1DisplayPro and i1DisplayProPlus will work for autocal on the X790. The table on page 1 of the thread did not specify any meters working with ArgyllCMS specifically for the X790, and no confirmation of the Plus version working on any JVC models.

Looks promising so I'm going to order the Plus. Much appreciation for taking the time on this thread with instructions!

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
The table on page 1 of the thread did not specify any meters working with ArgyllCMS specifically for the X790, and no confirmation of the Plus version working on any JVC models.
As mentioned in the post:
Please provide feedback on your experience with specific meter, projector model, and version of Autocal software.​
The table is updated based on actual user feedback, even though most should work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As mentioned in the post:
Please provide feedback on your experience with specific meter, projector model, and version of Autocal software.​
The table is updated based on actual user feedback, even though most should work.
Hi Dominic,
Please note that the JVC Autocal software (2018 JVC V10) works perfectly with my Xrite Display 3 Probe (2012) and my JVC X7900.
Similarly I could use the table <matrixOfSensor> of the ini.xml file to use the correction matrix I1D3/I1PRO2 created with HCFR.
The results of the measurements made with HCFR and JVC autocal (Argyll drivers) in log mode are perfectly superposable.

Reactions: Dominic Chan

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a few results for NX9 and Autocal 12.

There are some changes to the source code needed to replace the SpyderX. First of all, the dll to be replaced is named 'dcxmtr.dll'. Furthermore all functions begin with 'DCX_' instead of 'DC_'. And lastly, GetXYZ is missing the first argument ('unsigned short frames').

Since these changes are not needed to replace the Spyder4/5 in Autocal <12, this is just a 'proof of concept' for the time, when JVC will drop the support in future versions of Autocal.

Klein K10-A -> OK
i1 Display Pro OEM -> OK (but issues with low light patterns in my setup)
Spyder5 -> OK
Spyder4 -> OK

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Since these changes are not needed to replace the Spyder4/5 in Autocal <12, this is just a 'proof of concept' for the time, when JVC will drop the support in future versions of Autocal.
Supposedly one can still use Autocal 11 instead of 12?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, the situation with Autocal 11 and 12 is the same as with 6 and 7. Only the supported Spyder version is different.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
tried it with i1DisplayProPlus and V10 for my new X790R, and it worked. However, the low light grey scale readings for gamma(HDR mode) were all wrong, with poor results. I had to reverse it back.
should I try spyder? I read somewhere it does a better job for low light reading.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
tried it with i1DisplayProPlus and V10 for my new X790R, and it worked. However, the low light grey scale readings for gamma(HDR mode) were all wrong, with poor results. I had to reverse it back.
should I try spyder? I read somewhere it does a better job for low light reading.
When you run Autocal you should use Normal gamma, even for the HDR mode. Also, for gamma calibration zoom to the smallest size to maximize the meter readings.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
When you run Autocal you should use Normal gamma, even for the HDR mode. Also, for gamma calibration zoom to the smallest size to maximize the meter readings.
Good to know, I did pick 2.3 as target. will try again with zooming in tonight. thanks.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts