AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally approaching the point where I am getting the hardware to put together my active L/R speakers and I am wondering if the DI800 has been used in this manner;

My current Marantz AVR only has RCA pre outs, so for my active CC and sub I am using an Art clean box to go from the RCA pre outs into the XLR inputs of my Behringer Xover for the CC and my Mackie amp for the sub.

When I add an xover for the mains I really don't want to have a stack of clean boxs to deal with, so I am hoping to use the DI800 for this purpose.

One of the features listed for this unit is that it "Converts unbalanced line inputs into balanced outputs " so I can't see why this would not work...

I also want to have seperate gain control for the CC and sub, right now I am temporarily using the 1 clean box for both. This means that I would need to buy 2 more clean boxes for $65 ea, or 1 DI800 for $99...

If anybody who has done this or can think of a reason why it won't work could chime in, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
What about a DCX2496?

It can do the conversion, has all the crossovers one could ask for, 6 outputs, 3 inputs, all discreet channels, gains, etc.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't realize the DCX2496 would convert from RCA unbalanced to XLR balanced...

The only reason I can think why I would not want to do this is that I will be getting a DCX2496 for my active 3-way mains, so I would already have all the EQ I need.

I think buying a second just to convert might be overkill?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/18228323

I didn't realize the DCX2496 would convert from RCA unbalanced to XLR balanced...

The only reason I can think why I would not want to do this is that I will be getting a DCX2496 for my active 3-way mains, so I would already have all the EQ I need.

??? Why would you buy a second just to convert? The one will do the converting, EQ'ing, and XO work all at the same time

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/18228323

I guess conversion may not describe it correctly.

You still need a cable that will go from RCA (AVR) to XLR (DCX) but after that it is all XLR.

'They' make a cable that has male RCA to XLR of gender choice.

That is how I have my system setup.

Well, it never hurts to have more. I mean why get another device that does half of what you want rather than get a device that does more than you need? But one would do it for you.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18228350

??? Why would you buy a second just to convert? The one will do the converting, EQ'ing, and XO work all at the same time

Ok, I didn't realize I could go directly into the DCX without converting from unbalanced first. I assumed there would be a gain issue.

Thanks, this will save me $100 for the DI box...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/18228884

Ok, I didn't realize I could go directly into the DCX without converting from unbalanced first. I assumed there would be a gain issue.

Thanks, this will save me $100 for the DI box...

You will need one of these cables or an adapter.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18228912

You will need one of these cables or an adapter.

Or some XLR cables, some RCA cables, some electrical tape, a knife, and time. I spliced all of mine together to save a couple bucks
. It took some time to do all of them but it wasn't too bad. I just wired the ground and negative together (that's what most of the commercial RCA-> XLR cables do) than connected the chassis of the DCX to the chassis of my AVR with speakerwire. Alternatively you could run the ground wire from the XLR side to the chassis of your AVR - I think NEODan did a run of cables like this a while back. I'm not sure but I think that's functionally equivalent to what I did with the speakerwire.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18229024

Or some XLR cables, some RCA cables, some electrical tape, a knife, and time. I spliced all of mine together to save a couple bucks
. It took some time to do all of them but it wasn't too bad. I just wired the ground and negative together (that's what most of the commercial RCA-> XLR cables do) than connected the chassis of the DCX to the chassis of my AVR with speakerwire. Alternatively you could run the ground wire from the XLR side to the chassis of your AVR - I think NEODan did a run of cables like this a while back. I'm not sure but I think that's functionally equivalent to what I did with the speakerwire.

I was thinking about building my own cables anyway, to make my rack nice and neat..

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said previously, I am in the process of rewiring my rack and I've got an issue with my bi-amped CC. I'm having a couple issues I need some advice on.

Here is my equipment chain - Marantz RCA preout-> behringer CX-2310-> behringer A500-> speaker.

I've made all the XLR and RCA - XLR cables, but I am no longer getting audio from the CC. I wired the RCA-XLR cable like this:

XLR pin 1,3 to RCA sleeve

XLR pin 2 to RCA tip

the weird thing is I get the Marantz test tones from the CC, but no audio any other time......

I've ohmed all my cables out and everything seems correct.

Is the problem my CX-2310? I wonder if the output the marantz isn't hot enough...

The exact setup worked previously using an Art clean box between the Marantz and xover.

I'm also seeing the same issue with my sub - Marantz RCA preout-> BFD-> Mackie FR1400-> sub. I'm getting a signal showing on the BFD but nothing on the Mackie.

This also worked previously with a clean box in the chain.

I'm sure I did something stupid, but I can't figure out what

Anybody have a PR-sc886 they need to part with

Any help will be immensely helpful!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/18394474

XLR pin 1,3 to RCA sleeve

XLR pin 2 to RCA tip

the weird thing is I get the Marantz test tones from the CC, but no audio any other time......

That really is weird. So just to recap when playing material you get nothing but when setting levels on the Marantz you get output. Are you able to level match the CC with the rest of the channels? If so you shouldn't need a cleanbox. Sounds like an issue with setup on the receiver? Maybe try running the receiver in Full Mono mode if it has that and see if you get output. It doesn't really sound like the cables are bad (or you wouldn't ever get output, right?). I checked the cables I made with my multimeter and they're all wired the same as you have above.

Strange!?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are correct.....

I've got no problem level matching using the marantz test tones but no audio otherwise.

I did what you suggested yesterday and ran through the marantz setup, but I couldn't find anything that would affect it; not to mention I did not change any settings from when I had the clean boxes.

I'll have to play around more tonight. Thanks for the advice!

So your cables are wired the same way? That makes me feel better at least I can be reasonably sure the cables aren't the issue.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/18398887

So your cables are wired the same way? That makes me feel better at least I can be reasonably sure the cables aren't the issue.

Yeah, I double checked. Just to be double (maybe triple?) sure, the pinout for the male (the one that doesn't lock into place) is:

1 2

The pinout for the female would then be:

2 1

Also, pretty sure you did but have you checked them with a multimeter?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, i metered each one to make sure the pinouts were correct and to make sure there were no shorts.

There must be something going on with the input into the marantz, I'll play around with some other sources tonight. I've been kind of consumed with getting my irule remote working.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Sounds like a surround setting issue in the receiver. I know every once and a while, my Rotel (receiver, that I use as a pre/pro) gets weird, and I have to power it off/on to set things right.

I just re-did my amp rack to add some more Mackies for an upcoming IB project.

One new product for line level conversion, that I thought looked really cool is the Aphex Model 228. Little more high end (although not much more than one of my FR1400s).

http://www.aphex.com/228.htm

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice rack! I've been very happy with my Mackie, the fan is a bit loud, but with it inside my closet I don't really notice.

As far as my audio problem, it turned out to be operator error....

It was indeed the surround settings. Last night I decided to try a different setting and found it was on mch stereo. I felt like an idiot

Oh well, at least my cables work! Thanks for the advice guys...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome /forum/post/18402820

One new product for line level conversion, that I thought looked really cool is the Aphex Model 228. Little more high end (although not much more than one of my FR1400s).

http://www.aphex.com/228.htm

Interesting, I haven't seen that before. It is a bit pricey, but it looks like exactly what I was looking for.

For now my setup seems to be fine just using my XLR to RCA cables, so I'll save my cash to eventually get a PR-5507. That is my end goal.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/18403113

it turned out to be operator error....

hehe, I was pretty sure it was going to be something like that. The old ID-10-T error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/18403148

For now my setup seems to be fine just using my XLR to RCA cables, so I'll save my cash to eventually get a PR-5507. That is my end goal.

Nice! I just upgraded to a PR-SC885 and love it. The improvement in SQ was subtle but definitely there. The big kicker for me was the XLR outs. That and it has 2 HDMI outs (and 4 ins - the 805 I had before it only had 3) so I don't need the monoprice 4x2 switch any more

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18403323

hehe, I was pretty sure it was going to be something like that. The old ID-10-T error

Nice! I just upgraded to a PR-SC885 and love it. The improvement in SQ was subtle but definitely there. The big kicker for me was the XLR outs. That and it has 2 HDMI outs (and 4 ins - the 805 I had before it only had 3) so I don't need the monoprice 4x2 switch any more

Those two features are exactly what I need. I am dying to be able to yank my Monoprice 4x2 switch out and have one less thing to screw with.

Mind letting me know where you were able to pick up one of those? I've been looking all over for an 885/886 as an 'interim' solution.

I probably wouldn't be able to pick up the 5507 until early next year, so an 885/886 would be good now. I just can't find any for sale...

I was hoping the UMC would work out, but it only has 1 HDMI out and no XLR (except for sub) among other issues. That and I can't even buy one....

I'm also thinking about getting an Onkyo 1007 to use as a prepro. It doesn't have XLR, but it does have dual hdmi, which I need more. It would also save me from buying a couple amps for the surrounds....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts