AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that would get your attention! I'm doing a piecemeal upgrade of my surround system and it's my understanding that the best timbre comes from using identical speakers for both the front and center channels. I came across the Wharfedale WH-2 bipolar deal and was wondering how it would sound in a 7.1 setup using six of these and a sub. Anyone out there using bipolars for all channels?

Alternatively I'd like to get a half-dozen minis like the HK cubes. I'm not doing much stereo audio right now, for the most part when I get a chance to turn on the reciever it's to watch a movie, so I'd prefer to get better surround sound than blow a wad on a pair of front/stereo speakers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I've never tried it, but there's a reason for that.

Bi-poles (somewhat like dipoles) are designed so that the sound source can't be localized. The nature of the front soundstage is that the sound coming from the front speakers *can* be localized. "This is the Right speaker".

Plus, when you've got a bi-pole facing you the tweeters are 45* off-axis. Frequency response will suck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I hadn't been able to find a good reason not to, but now I have two: Your explanation, and the threads about the H/K AVR7200. I think I'm going to skip the speaker upgrade and go to a new receiver first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.