Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just picked up a new B&K AVR 507 receiver a few days ago. Still trying to sort out everything it can do which is apparently going to take quite a while!

One question I've got that so far, I can't get a straight answer to... Can I connect the receiver to my home LAN and use the bkcSuite through a network connection or is the connector on the receiver truly just an RS232? If it is an RS232, I assume I need to use the RJ-45 to DB9 adaptor that came with the receiver and just connect it to a comm port on my pc. If it does work through a network connection, how do I determine what IP to connect to? Will it pick one up from my DHCP server automatically?

Hoping it will work through my LAN. That would bump the already high cool factor of the unit well into the next level!

TIA,

Darren Sulfridge

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes it will work on a LAN. Mine works right now. B&Kserver runs on the PC that connects COM to your 507. Then B&Ksuite runs on any other PC as a client. Yes it is a high cool factor. Id like to run the virtual front panel mode with a touch screen LCD, to me that would be cool as a remote

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Just to be clear

DO NOT attach the B&K directly to your hub or network.

It must be connect to a serial port of a computer.

That rj45 connector on the B&K is only serial.

If you want it to work on the network, then that same

computer must be on your network.

-Jerry

·
Registered
333 Posts
Could you clear that up a little more, Diode?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The B&K port connects to the COM port on your PC. DO NOT connect the B&K port to your router or hub! The network card in your pc then connects to the router/hub. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, I guess I'm a bit confused about the network option in the bkcsuite then. Seems a bit pointless to make a client that will conect over tcp when you have to use a comm port to connect. Using a comm port would imply that you are already on a pc which would make the tcp connection pointless.

Though it does clear up why it came with an adaptor!

Thanks for the advice guys,

Darren

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I finally got it all figured out. Still seems like an odd way to do things, but I do at least understand what they are trying to do. I don't think it will work in my setup very well as I've only got one drop of cat5 behind my audio rack, but if I ever rewire I'll know what I need to do!

Thanks!

Darren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.