AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Elemental designs e12k subwoofer (d4) in a .88 cu foot box. Is it possible to use it for home audio with decent results?

Here are the specs:

Specifications

Qts: .369

Qes: .39

Qms: 4.97

Fs: 24.00Hz

Re: 1.75

Vas: 83L

Mms: N/Ag

Bl: 20.00T*m

SPL: 86.5dB

Sd: 490cm²

Xmax: 15.8mm

Voice Coil: 62.0mm

Magnet Width: 5.125"

Cutout Diameter: 11.125"

Mounting Depth: 5.900"

Weight: 0lb

Total Height: N/A"

Displacement: .08 ft³

Outside Diameter: 12.500"

And how would a HT receiver power it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think in the right box it should work fine. Contact eD and they will tell you what size to build your box. You should float this idea on the forums at their website.

They sell plate amps for subwoofers also.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni /forum/post/18142207

I think in the right box it should work fine. Contact eD and they will tell you what size to build your box. You should float this idea on the forums at their website.

They sell plate amps for subwoofers also.

thanks!

Is it possible to use my 600 watt rms car amp?

couldn't i just get a power inverter for it?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
By the time you buy the proper AC to DC converter with the appropriate amperage output, you could have bought a proper plate amp with more controls.

The older 12k subs were either built by Destijl Engineering (the blue logo models) or TC Sounds (flat cone). Based on your T/S specs you have the flat cone which is really a TC2+ sub.

Why don't you post in our DIY section?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've actually got 2 car subs, each in its own sealed custom box, and a passive crossover wired in series connected to my old Luxman 2-channel receiver's "B" speaker out. One is a 10-inch and the other's an 8-inch. The 10-inch hit pretty hard - good box.

I *think* I'm presenting the amp w/ a 2-ohm load. Sounds pretty good for what it is, running alongside my vintage Boston Acoustics A70 (8-inch 2-way) speakers in my 20'X10'X8' (1,600 cubic foot) sealed room. Great setup for my former 1-stall garage ManCave/cigar smoking/workout room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.