AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase the new Sony kf60xbr800 LCD 60" TV... It has a DVI input. I tried connecting my PC to the TV (at good guys). and it seemed to work ok... Best resolution I could get was 700x480 (I have a GeForce 4 4600 graphics card).

However, the TV manual says that the DVI input is NOT designed for computers, but does not say why... I want to use my computer (3 GHz, with all the bells and whistles) to attach directly to the TV for DVDs, surfing/playing my MP3s, and timeshifting analog and HD TV...

was wondering:

1) does anyone know if DVI to DVI is "ok" from computers to TV's?

2) if DVI is not ok, what connection should I use? (VGA to component splitter, etc...)

3) anyone have any feedback on the Sony kf60xbr800 TV? It's $4,500, so am looking for all the data I can before purchasing...

thanks

brad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, sending an HTPC DVI-out to an XBR's DVI-in should work. The reason you were able to achieve 700x480 (or standard 640x480 VGA) is because the video refresh rate and timing was close enough to standard NTSC 480i, which the tv readily accepts. Going up to SVGA (800X600) or XGA (1024X768) would only result in sync errors (i.e. sporadic lines of garbage on the display) and possibly even damage to the set.

To get the tv to cooperate w/ your HTPC, you'll need to use a s/w tool like PowerStrip to customize video resolutions that mimic HDTV signals (i.e. 720p or 1080i).

Sony does not support this because 1) it's difficult stuff not intended for the mass market, and 2) they fear that using a tv as a computer monitor could lead to burn-in issues (even on LCD technology), based on typical pc usage habits (i.e. having a fixed task bar, working for hours inside an app/window, etc.).

--Thomas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm... so you are saying that it is ok to use the DVI out connector from the PC graphics card into an HDTV? but use Powerstrip sw to convert the stream...

great news

do you know at what resolution of monitor (TV) with PC DVD input you need to be able to equal or beat a standalone $500 progressive scan DVD player?

I am relatively new to the HTPC game... I have great hardware, but little experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a kv-34xbr800 tube. I would say you are better off using a transcorder or get a ati card and there component output. I use power strip with a resolution of 1130x660 which gives a great picture with no over scan. You can get an ati 8500 le for cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's good news... how do I determine optimal resolution for powerstrip with the TV... and am I limited to the ATI cards, or are there better PCI/AGP cards that provide component out for the high def TVs...

·
Registered
197 Posts
DVI is going to give you MUCH better results vs. any component video out will... if you can do DVI, keep it that way.

As for optimal resolution... do some searches for your tele and powerstrip and see what settings people are using. You'll probably find you get much better results with an ATI Radeon card vs. any other card on the market.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it sounds like I have 2 options for getting video from my PC to the Sony LCD Grand Wega II. I can use the DVI connector from my graphics card or I can get an ATI card with componenet outputs...

the responses suggest I should use DVI over component... Is it fair to say that for a given TV (the SOny, or others), that DVI will always be a better solution? Any downside to DVI over component? How about resolution - I hear that I need at least a horiz resolution of 700 for the PC DVD to be better than a stand alone DVD player... Is it likely the DVI input (with Powerstrip) will allow this?

lastly, I wanted to double check that using the DVI (from the PC) will not damage the TV - 1 response above said it was ok, if I used powerstrip, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I spent the $5,000

thanks

brad

·
Registered
197 Posts
You misunderstood, or it wasn't made clear... the ATI Radeons have DVI out as well as VGA out. This is what you want to use (the DVI out).

DVI has cable limitations. DVI has copy protection, so if you view a DVD with certain protection schemes on it, you won't be able to view the DVD at higher than 480p rez.

Other than that, DVI handles a much higher bandwidth, and therefore a better (theoretical) picture quailty - but this depends on your setup.

You need to read more about all of this before you jump. Go do a search for "DVI"... there's been a LOT of good discussion on this board about that very topic already, and although I know a little, I don't know nearly enough to guide you for your tele - all I know is what I need to know for my Hitachi :0

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
DVI is pertinent only if the display used is a fixed pixel device like LCD, DLP, plasma, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.