AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete newbie when it comes to HT/HA, so this seemed like the best place to get some feedback from the more experienced enthusiast on my upcoming plans.

tomshardware.com seems to think that creative S750 speaker system + creative decoder can make a very nice entry-level HT system:

High-end PC Speakers Review:
tomshardware.com/video/20031222/index.html

Decoder Review: tomshardware.com/video/20040120/index.html

Having read these reviews I am considering using them for my setup. I already have a computer in my living room which I use as a music server and general file storage which I would eventually like to use as a PVR/music/video server. I figure that if these computer speakers are good enough for watching movies in my average-sized living room as well as for playing music (they would need to be loud enough to compensate for no additional speakers in two adjacent rooms (no walls separating them)) in a large party setting (over 100 people packed in the three rooms), then they would be ideal for my eventual PVR/Video server plans. I also plan to replace my TV in the next year, upgrading to an HDTV. I can spend no more than $3000 on the whole setup (I already have a receiver, amp, and dvd player) and would prefer to spend around $1800. I have a good friend at Tweeter who is willing to keep his eye out for particularly good deals on equipment I want and will cut out his commission on anything I buy through him. Knowing all this:

1) Will the computer speakers meet my needs for movies&parties?

2) Does the PVR/Video server idea make sense? Any recommendations for this setup? (I would assume the video setup would be as simple as connecting my new TV to the DVI-out of my video card, and for PVR I'd have the cable pass through a TV-tuner card and then output over the DVI-out)

3) Given that I can get some drastically discounted items through my friend if I'm willing to wait, should I avoid the computer speaker setup and go with a traditional Hi-Fi system? (I would assume this would be the better choice for large parties at least)

Thanks in advance for any of views you guys can share with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm using a Logitech Z640 5.1 speakers hooked up to my entry level 450mhz htpc, For $65 these speakers are small but they are LOUD! and they sound nice and crisp, they shake the whole room too! the only problem i had with these is that the front speaker cables are too short and the center light is too bright. If you want a very good speaker and save money get these!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I looked around for a long time for powered/computer speakers, and kept finding them all to be sets of some number of tiny tweeters with a big sub-woofer. That produces lots of high and low sound but nothing in the middle. A set of "bookshelf" speakers with woofers is a necessity as far as I'm concerned. I managed to find 2 or 3 viable options after searching a lot, but here's what I ended up with and am very happy to be using...

http://compusa.com/products/products...V%20Sonic%20XS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.