AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at acquiring a DCX2496 to try out a few active speaker designs, and have a few quick questions.

1. For those of you running unbalanced gear (RCA connectors), how are you connecting to the DCX (balanced XLR).

2. How is everyone controlling the volume? Pre xover or post xover?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I use RCA to XLR connections.

Volume control is done pre xover, but I have my power amps adjusted to maximize gain from the preamp.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Same; I just use adapter cables as well. Monoprice carries XLR to RCA cables, though the ones I use aren't Monoprice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just hooked my DCX up Saturday using the Monoprice cables and I couldn't be happier. I was worried about hum/ground problems but everything is working great. The Monoprice stuff seems very high quality for the price.

Oh, and I'm using an Onkyo 805 and an XPA-5, so I have quite a combo of unbalanced and balanced stuff all hooked together.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I too am using a home theater receiver (Panasonic XR55), Monoprice RCA to XLR cable and a DCX2496.

I can barely get the input LED's on the side of the DCX registering -20.

How are you guys getting ample input voltage allowing for proper (optimal?) A/D conversion levels without a line level converter?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm assuming you are using the Panny as a power amp and inputting via the 5.1 inputs, with a separate prepro before the DCX?

In that case you want to turn the volume of the Panny down. This means you'll need to turn the volume of your prepro up, which will improve the levels into the DCX.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/17391357

I'm assuming you are using the Panny as a power amp and inputting via the 5.1 inputs, with a separate prepro before the DCX?

In that case you want to turn the volume of the Panny down. This means you'll need to turn the volume of your prepro up, which will improve the levels into the DCX.

I am using the LFE out directly into the DCX2496.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym /forum/post/17391884

I am using the LFE out directly into the DCX2496.

The problem I have always had with my DCX is getting the gain structure right.

I want to turn my pre/pro way up so that I maximize my DCX processing and lower its noise floor but that means other speakers that are not part of the DCX will be too loud even if I set the trim to -10. Its hard to match Gain settings when you are not using a DCX for all pre-outs IF all amps do not have volume controls. I just picked up a Panasonic XR55 to act as my volume control with all amps that do not have volume controls.

When I have time Im also going to order a DCX modification (its about $600 though). It replaces all the inputs/outputs on my DCX so that I have the proper gain structure, they will also be unbalanced to make connectivitiy easier.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym /forum/post/17392838

Looks like the input on these is balanced XLR's. Won't work our consumer level LFE RCA outs :/

There is an RCA option but you would use this device between the DCX and the amp. The DCX has XLRs actually so do many amps (Mine do).

The idea of this device is to allow use to reduce the voltage going into an amp that doesnt have its own volume control so we can to set the gain on a pre/pro to max so that the DCX works its best

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym /forum/post/17393470

Hrm. in my case the EP2500 as attenuation controls

Yeah, if you amp has gain controls no need for the PVC. My outlaw amps don't have gain controls.

Have you ever tried turning up your panny XR55 to get the DCX input lights upto about -5?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Ah, so you are using the Panny as the prepro and then the EP2500 as the amp. Presumably you are just using the DCX for sub EQ then?

In that case you turn the attenuators on the EP2500 down and boost the LFE output as high as you can.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Panasonic XR55 ->---[LFE RCA OUT]--> DCX2496 ->--[XLR OUT]--> EP2500.

I was very curious to how others are running any decent signal from their consumer level receivers into the DCX2496. When I saw people were getting adequate signal in this thread I scratched my head and wondered as I'm not.

I'd be interested in knowing the input level they are seeing on the LED's as I am only getting -20 from my XR55.

As I understand, If you really want to make use of the 24 bit resolution, higher input is required. Our receivers just don't cut it.

Although it may "work" the noise floor is raised and you'll be introducing a TON of noise into the signal path as the low input is amplified.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I use my DCX as a crossover and so feed it from the main L-Rs of my prepro. I have balanced outputs but previously used it with RCAs. Then the DCX feeds my power amps which have gain controls on them.

I have the gain turned down on my power amps so that the input gains on the DCX hit the -20dB at low to average levels, the -10dB at highish levels and the-2dB at reference.

I have another DCX I've been using for bass EQ and it seldom gets above -20dB in normal listening, but will go all the way up for especially LFE intensive movies.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/17398659

I use my DCX as a crossover and so feed it from the main L-Rs of my prepro. I have balanced outputs but previously used it with RCAs. Then the DCX feeds my power amps which have gain controls on them.

I have the gain turned down on my power amps so that the input gains on the DCX hit the -20dB at low to average levels, the -10dB at highish levels and the-2dB at reference.

I have another DCX I've been using for bass EQ and it seldom gets above -20dB in normal listening, but will go all the way up for especially LFE intensive movies.

I turned up the volume on my NAD T-175 to max and did a test. I couldnt get the DCX input gains to hit anything past -10dB.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have an Onkyo 885 and use the XLR outputs. It does give a higher output than the RCAs, but seem to recall that I was still able to get over -10dB with the single-ended outputs.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds /forum/post/17403191

I have an Onkyo 885 and use the XLR outputs. It does give a higher output than the RCAs, but seem to recall that I was still able to get over -10dB with the single-ended outputs.

Yes, I have the 885 too so I will check it out this weekend. I bought several months ago just because it has XLR connections.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.