AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK , I'm looking at a 42" panny. How is the quality of picture using direct tv and when you use it do you use it in wide screen format . I saw one at Local store and in the wide screen formate it didn"t look that good. Now I'm a little leary on the whole thing. Help, I had my wife convinced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had my Panny for 2 months and have Directv. I have it set in just mode and even though dtv is digital - some channels are better than others. However, the pq is incredible compared to anything I have seen in a rptv. Do not look at what the store shows you to be gospel truth. Check out other stores and see what they have as plasma demos. I was sold on a plasma the second I saw it at CC but didn't act until the other half saw it as well. then ordering over the internet will save you great $$. Read the board and see what others say about the plasmas and ordering procedures. I think this will alleviate much of your concern. I know it did mine. Go back to the old world of television? Never!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I watch DTV (via DTiVo) all the time in "normal" 4:3 mode on my 37" Panasonic; this provides a diagonal size of about 31". It is considerably sharper and has less distortion and better color gradation than my previous 27" tube set. However, with a 42" set in wide mode you are magnifying the image quite a bit and it is bound to lose some detail.

There is indeed some variation among broadcasts. One of the best for PQ is the new Fine Living channel; also, sad to say, often the commercials are sharper and brighter than the program material they interrupt.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I didn't find using Just mode to cost much at all in the way of detail -- if anything. The middle of the screen is not distorted in that mode (or perhaps it is just a mite and it usually looks real good.

Mark

·
Registered
236 Posts
dwarmka, I was in the same boat as you, and from all the stores I went that had DirecTV the SD (standard definition) looks pretty poor. I'm waiting until there's more HDTV in my area before I make the plung. Picture this, the wife..."Why did we spend all that money to look at a blurry picture on that new plasma you bought"..."We could of of used that money for..etc"

Here's a link that might help you. (Tony is my post in the thread)
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...&lp=1038381817

Tony

·
Registered
24 Posts
dwarmka,

"Just" mode on the Panny plasma is one of the screen aspect ratios you can choose (e.g 4:3, 16:9 etc). What Just does is leave the middle portion of the screen (where most of the action happens) as-is, but stretch out the edges of the screen to fill the 16:9 screen. The result is that for most standard TV broadcasts you can have a 16:9 screen without the "stretched" appearance that you usually get when you simply draw out a 4:3 picture to 16:9. I find it works pretty well - you just have to get used to football players miraculously appearing to gain weight when they walk to the edge of the screen.

I'd suggest you ask the sales people at Circuit City or wherever else you look as the screen to show you this aspect ratio for regular tv broadcasts, and then view the picture from at least 6-7 ft away. That will give you a good idea what it might look like in your home.

Then go and buy it over the Web.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Part of the problem is that by the time to stretch a 4:3 image out on a 42" 16:9 screen, the picture you are looking at is almost as big as a 50". Combine that with the fine detail that the screen can show, and i's no wonder it doesn't look great.

You can, however, count on it looking better than it does in the store. Even an Avia calibration, as mentioned above, will help in that regards.

We've been over this topic before, do a search on aspect, overscan, and Felgar to get more info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll , I'll be going back to the stores for another look. The guy at American TV a big dealer in midwest, tells me all channels will be hd by 1- 01-06. Is this true? He made it clear, i'd have to be an idiot to buy a non-hd model, which he had on display but wanted to sell me the same panny only hd he did not have on display for 2,000 more. I'll try cc and best buy. It is the shopping season.... Thanks for all the help guys...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
It's fairly well recognized that the Non-HD model looks extremely good with a HD feed. You probably aren't missing *too* much by having the lower res. Of course, that is subjective, and some will say that the extra $$$ is worth the HD res. Just make sure to see them side by side with an HD feed, and you can decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If your main viewing is going to be via DirecTV, I've found the newer generation STBs, like the Sony HD200, do a much better job of displaying SD content than some of the previous HD-capable models, especially the overly-compressed local/network channels. The HD200 also has an equivalent "just"/non-linear stretch mode for 4:3-based content that works better than most of the built-in panel offerings I've seen, and which gets automatically turned on or off, based on the content. With previous HD STBs, everything was up-converted to 1080i so you couldn't use the built-in NLS mode in the display and the STBs only had linear "Wide" stretch modes.

-- Gary

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dwarmka
... The guy at American TV a big dealer in midwest, tells me all channels will be hd by 1- 01-06. Is this true?
AFAIK he is mistaken. I'll channels are supposed to be broadcasting a digital signal by 2006, which doesn't mean it has to be HD (it could be SD or ED and meet the requirements). Some channels may use their allocated bandwith to multicast SD, instead of using it for HD programming (so you could get even more infomercials to choose from late at night, yay!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.