AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ppl, i'm new here, not sure if this is where this post should go, but it seems logical so here goes...

I'm using DScaler to recieve an RF signal into my WinFast TV2000 tuner card. I have a GF4 Ti4200 video card to display the picture, and all looks fine on my PC monitor. However, I have my TV plugged into the S-Video out of my Ti4200 and have set my card options to display 2 screens. My desktop appears on my TV and everything appears fine until I move the DScaler window across to the TV and the picture within the window displays as black.. i.e. no picture. I have used the WinFast software that comes with the TV card and it appears to work, however it does not support colour inversion which I need :/ Is there a setting in DScaler that I have missed that I need to turn on or off. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
I could be wrong, being fairly new here myself, but my first thought is what your trying to do isnt what DScaler was meant for.

Most people here use the Regular Video Cable that you have connected to your monitor to feed their RPTV (Rear Projection TeleVision), PJ (Projector) or Plasma.

Most high end RPTVs, PJs and Plasmas have either a DB15 Input (aka DSub15 Input) which is the same connector your computer monitor has, OR They have Component Video Inputs which are the 3 seperate RCA Style cables that do just video. (You convert the DB15 into Component with a special converter)

I doubt most people posting in the HTPC forum use the SVideo out, because the quality is so poor. Thusly why I said your use of DScaler is headed in the wrong direction. Your bringing in a signal, cleaning it up as much as possible, and then shooting it out to your TV with a signal almost as bad as the one that came into your machine.

Again, I could be wrong.

You may wanna try going Single Video mode to the SVideo instead of having it as a secondary display. If this works then DScaler may simply only work on the Primary display.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Casper.

It seems you were right. I set my TV as the primary display and disabled the PC Monitor and it worked fine.. it seems DScaler only works with a single display :mad:

Where can I find software that uses colour inversion and support for 2 displays. All I want to do is watch TV on my TV and have my PC monitor free to work from without having the TV in the background in a window.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Legolas, I'm sure that there is TV Tuner software out there that allows the use of 2 displays. I don't know any off-hand because I use DScaler.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is not a software problem, is't your Geforce. The Geforce can only display TV on the primary monitor, why, don't know, it sucks. I always get this message when dragging a TV windoe to the secondary monitor:

"Due to limitations of your computer's display device, this video can only play back on one of your monitors. Please move the video window completely onto that monitor."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi eeyore, are you sure it's the the GeForce that has the problem? I have used 'WinFast PVR' with dual monitors and when I dragged the window from my PC monitor to my TV it worked fine. I have never recieved that error message you mentioned. It's a shame WinFast PVR has all the features I need except 'colour inversion' :(

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Hey,

I'd try using Video Mirror, it's in the overlay controls. What it does is "mirror" video (overlay) on the primary display full screen on the secondary display. I use it all the time on my MX440 with dual VGA.

But Casper is right, if you're outputting to the TV over S-video Dscaler probably isn't worth the effort. Since you are taking interlaced -> deintelaced (Dscaler) -> interlaced (S-vid). Dscaler's biggest advantage is it's awesome deinterlacing.

Chad

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned TVTool. It works very well with the Winfast A250 Ti4200. I use this card and TVTool with S-Video to my Toshiba 36" TV. It is very clear at 640x480. When I compare Dscaler TV-OUT (with Hauppauge tuner) with the output of my JVC SVHS TV tuner (S-VIDEO OUT), the picture from Dscaler is better! Also works very well with computer text.

http://tvtool.de/

LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I have chosen stranger89's video mirror option for now and it is working fine.

However, does anyone know if it's possible to buy some sort of hardware box that you can plug your RF signal into and have it 'invert colour' and then plug it into the Tuner? I think this would be a much easier solution.

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.