AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an tips, on what I may be doing wrong? It takes about 2 hours, to copy a 1 gig of data to local PS3 HD using even a 100mps hard wired connection. Copying data from a DVD to local PS3 HD is normal speed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is it transcoding during the transfer? sounds like it. a lot of transcoding is barely faster than realtime on an average computer. so 2 hours is about right.

set tversity to 'Never transcode' and see what happens.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aaahhh OK, I will give that a shot. Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried it tonight no go. I was able to copy approx 70meg in aboutg 10 minutes. I then logged on to tversity via my web browser on my laptop, and copied the 276meg file in 2 1/2 minutes, also connected via Wireless G. So... I have to think that's it's something with the PS3 but what?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I did a copy tonight and it blasted away 1gb in a few mins. I think it was moving at about 70 mbs, which is very fast on my network.

·
Registered
515 Posts
mendes. start copying a file, and then check the CPU usage on the computer. if its >90% you know its transcoding somehow. Its gotta be to be that slow.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I turned off transcoding. I did also check CPU utilization and its' not breaking a sweat... also checking Network utilization is also below 1% ... I haven't found the cause yet. but will keep working on it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I loaded latest version...I'm from the status page there is no transcoding going on, I've done speed tests, getting 7.5meg down and 1.3meg up.. which is correct for my ISP connection. Everything else I download from the sony store etc is fast... just anything from tviersity is slow. Now download files to my laptop from same tversity server is fast.. only slow to the PS3. I'm at my wits end... I'm in IT guy so.. checked app logs on my server etc... no go.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I setup RED KAWA server, and the speed was normal.. copied a 900meg file in a few minutes... I would use this but it's no longer supported and you can't copy some files.. such as vob it asks you to insert external storage. I may try renaming .vob to say AVI see if that works..

I may try uninstalling tversity and attempt a clean install..

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've tried that from a different pc, no issues. Although, I'm not looking to stream.. all I want to do is copy files to my PS3 HDD.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I uninstalled tversity tonight, even went through the registry and cleaned everthing out.. still no good.. again cpu is very low, status page does not say it's transcoding either.. so I'm at a loss. Reading through the tversity forum site, others have same issue (they are complaing about streaming) but I tried that as well and same issue they are describing, no reall answers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
try going into the Network Adapter properties (on the PC) and deselect or uninstall the QoS Packet Scheduler entry. In the past I had major problems with slow network browsing until this was disabled.

Just a guess.

Tom

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Tom, I'll give it a shot.. for now I'm giving up on Tversity. Tversity was setup on my W2K3 server, but from my Winxp pc, I'm using WMP now.. only issue with WMP it doesn't have all the codecs, so not all videos show up when browsing through the folders on the PS3. I installed FFDSHOW from free codecs, but that didnt' seem to apply the codecs to WMP, still wouldn't play it or show up on the PS3. Then I tried renaming .vob files to AVI, and when I do that it shows up on WMP shard folder on the PS3 and I can download at normal speed, plays fine also without renaming the file on the PS3.. I'll just use this work around for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
in my experience copying .avi/divx files takes forever. however, copying .mp4/h264 files is extremely fast on my gigabit wired connection.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Mendes9,

I have the exact same problem you are describing, and I'm also running TVersity on Win2K3. After trying many things, both in TVersity settings and PS3 settings, I have come no closer to a solution. After reading your posts I'm beginning to think it's the TVersity\\Win2K3\\PS3 combination.

What brand\\model router are you using?

The strange thing is however: streaming TVersity to my SMC EZ-stream (audio only) box is no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I also experience excruciatingly slow copy times from tversity(Win2k3) to ps3, performing no transcoding whatsoever. However, the exact same build of tversity on my winxp laptop provides acceptable copy performance to the ps3.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have either of you (mendes9, t-ray) run the Windows Media Player setup wizard in Win2K3, before or after installing TVersity?

Last night i decided to install FLUPPES (other freeware DLNA server software) to try and see if this makes any difference. I only did a very short test with photo-JPG's, but the PS3 appears to receive files much quicker now. This would be acceptable performance. Need to do some more testing this evening\ omorrow.

Appears there is a TVersity forum thread about this: http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

·
Registered
332 Posts
I haven't tried messing around with WMP on Win2k3 for who knows how long. When the DLNA firmware update was released, I tried Tversity, twonky, and WMP. Tversity was the only thing that came anywhere close to working, so I stuck with it. From what I remember, there was no WMP release available for win2k3 at the time. I haven't checked on it again since.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts