AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some playing around over the last few days I have finally gotten the linux program transcode to transcode a ReplayTV mpeg file to divx format.

The program is still rough around the edges and it has a huge list of dependencies but I managed to get it working on my RedHat 7.3 server without much trouble with the help of freshrpms .

The version of transcode that freshrpms had for RedHat 7.3 (0.6.2) didn't handle the ReplayTV mpeg's, so upgraded to 0.6.10 but that compile went rather easily (again because freshrpms had all the devel libraries for the dependencies). People running RedHat 8 or 9 may have an easier time as the versions that freshrpms has are newer and may support the ReplayTV mpegs.

I had trouble with a bunch of the encoders but divx seemed to work fine. If anyone else is bold enough to give this a shot, here's the command I finally used to make it work:

transcode -i input.mpg -y divx4 -o output.avi -Z 330x240 -Y 0,10,0,0 -V -w 400

On my dual P3-1ghz this works at about 45 frames/second which means it can transcode at about 1.5x real time (it uses 100% of both processors.)

Adding -J smartyuv makes it do proper deinterlacing for if you are encoding at higher resolution. It doesn't seem to make a difference at 320x240 and it slows the transcoding down to about 25 fps on my machine.

The above command includes a -Y 0,10,0,0 which cuts 10 pixels off the left hand side of the video which are always blank on the files I get from my ReplayTV. I use -Z 330x240 to make it extra wide so after the 10 pixels get cut I end up with a 320x240 file.

transcode also includes a -c option for only encoding specific frames (i.e. for cutting out commercials.) I don't know if there is a tool to find the frame ranges for the ReplayTV's autoskip but that seems like an easy thing to make and together it would make a really nice tool to automatically create re-encoded files from ReplayTV mpeg's. I created a tool for my own use that converts time (h:m:s.s) into frame numbers and into a -c option for transcode.

transcode has options for creating SVCD formated mpeg2 streams but I haven't tried that yet. Let me know if anyone has any luck (good or bad) with that.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
oh man you teased me.... I though you ment a transocder, not an encoder...

A transcoder would take the mpeg file and mess with the mpeg stream, not acutally encoding it to some other format (which divx is).

I've been asking for an mpeg transcoder for a while. There are ones that work with VOB files, just not regular mpeg files. It's got to be simple to do, but none of the authors of DVDShrink, DVD2One or others want to share info. =(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can re-encode to mpeg again but you are correct, this decodes, messes with, and re-encodes the mpeg. It doesn't mess around with the internals of an existing mpeg. This isn't really an encoder though since it is designed to work with already compressed formats by decoding, modifying, and re-encoding a stream on the fly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been struggling with getting transcode/mencoder to correctly encode a Replay MPEG to xvid. I am having audio sync problems which is probably due to the GOP/PTS issues noted in JimsTips.

Does the video you made have any audio sync problems? I'm surprised that it works for you. I'm trying to encode a Replay High Quality show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.