AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I dont know to much about all this but have a question. Recently I got a HTIB from a friend with everything except the receiver. It was all brand new and never used. Only the receiver was not part of the gift as the original owner is using it for something else. Anyways I ordered a cheap used receiver on ebay for it and it came today. I did not realize that the subwoofer is passive and just has like two speaker wires coming out of it. In any event the receiver only has like an RCA jack for a subwoofer connection and no place to hook up this passive subwoofer. I noticed that the receiver does have a "Front B" hookup though for additional front speaker wires. Would it be possible to hook the passive subwoofer up to that and get good results? Or am I just out of luck? I dont really want to spend a ton of money and get an active sub unless there is no other way around it. Anyways thanks for any advice or ideas!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Depends on impedance.

An 8 ohm sub might work ok with 8 ohm speakers. Anything less, and you are taking your chances. With no crossover on the sub, it's what I would call a non optimal solution.

There are powered subs under $300, such as the Emotiva Ultra-10 (which I own.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The speakers and Subwoofer were from a really cheap Sony HTIB (Sony HT-DDW700). I looked in the manual and it says they are all 6 ohms the speakers and the subwoofer too. Ya it probably would not be a great solution but do you think it would work at all until I can get a new Sub in the future?

·
Premium Member
93,219 Posts
The Front "B" speaker posts are generally connected in parallel with the Front "A" speaker posts which would reduce 8 ohm FL/R and sub to 4 ohms which would more then likely kill your receiver. Also, HTIB systems often come with 4 ohm speakers which by themselves may draw too much from your ebay receiver let alone connecting a passive sub. Check the impedance of your speakers to see if your receiver can power them and also get a powered sub as suggested above.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You could probably finbd a cheapo amp for it. Those HTIB speakers usually stink, I'd stick with a very low wattage amp

Parts Express has one for like $40, but you could probably do better than that even with some prudent googling.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
No offense to those suggesting an amp, but with the price of Bic subwoofers being pretty low, you might want to look into that as an affordable option.

The Emotiva Ultra-10 is a good deal, IMO, for not a lot more than an amp, offering excellent performance, IMO.

There used to be a thread in the subwoofer area ( forget it's name) about affordable subwoofers.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Parts express has a nice 12" for $99 right now. 175watt.

But I have seen amps for under $20 from time to time.

Also note? Many of those HTIB subs are like a weirdo 3 ohms which makes them not play nice with most AVR amp sections period.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts