AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 3803 receiver, SVS 20-39 PCi, and Klipsch Quintet Microsystem speakers. I've been mulling over new speaker choices for around two months now. Initially I was going to go with bookshelf fronts and wall mounted surrounds. Now I'm working on changing my mind about that.

The trouble with most surrounds I've looked at is extension. Initially this didn't bother me because I planned to use an 80Hz crossover. Some recent movies, such as Underworld, are making me question my decision. I have a feeling the near future will bring more movies demanding lower extension for the surrounds. I want to be prepared for this.

Now I'm leaning towards having my surrounds capable of 60Hz extension or below. Though I love my PCi I'm very tempted to upgrade to an SVS PC-Ultra or infinite baffle setup. If I go with either of those I'd like to have a lower crossover, say 60Hz.

The problem I've run in to is the speakers I was planning to buy, Ascend Acoustic 340s, are not exactly ideal for surround use. They are pretty large, heavy, rear ported bookshelf speakers. I sent a fax with a detailed room diagram to David at Ascend regarding this issue.

I suppose I could use 340s on their custom stands as surrounds but this certainly won't give me the 2-3' above ear level mounting position recommended by Dolby. For those of you using "full range" surrounds, what have you done?

FWIW, my room is 14w x 20l x 8h. It is not open to any other room. My seating position is approximately 10' from the screen, 6' from the rear wall, and 7' from each side wall.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
irrespective my floor standing front LR can go down to 50hz i still set all speakers as small so all sub bass to subwoofer

the idea is to reduce strain on receiver delivering output of sub bass to those speakers. i find higher frequencies deliver with more precision so sound stage improves.

besides i have 2 subs both passive diy using a good power amp to drive them

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have a vandersteen system where the surrounds are hooked into a 2WQ sub. I have pretty flat response to 20 hz in the surround positions.

I do not think thayt your room is not wide enough to have floor standing speakers as surrounds. Your best alternative is to try to do the same thing with your system as I did with mine and hook them up to a 2WQ or IB sub. BTW, there is a lot of content that sends full range info to the surrounds, but you never notice if you have your speakers set to small.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you're into music, especially SACDs and DVD-As, there is a large advantage to having all the same speaker... including the center channel.

That being said, it's not the way most people do it, so you won't see much help on setup.

I think it's a great idea, and if I could figure out a way, I'd do it...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've always used full range speakers as surrounds and use (smaller) floor standing ones now. I've put them on stands. The stands I'm using now are probably 3 feet tall. And, I also love them for multi-channel music.

Greg

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I use a pair of full-range rears (Y'd from the center out of a 3-channel decoder, set 'large') and wall-mount sides (from L & R outs of same decoder, set 'small'), and there is enough bass in the surrounds to warrant doing this.

The rears are floor-standing towers, really meant as main speakers in a stereo setup. My System link below tells you more.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My brain must be fried. I received an e-mail from David regarding my situation. His recommendation couldn't have been more ideal... or obvious. Except to me, of course.

Place the bookshelf speakers on shelves. Duh! Of course he was polite and informative, I just can't help feeling a little dumb.

I can use the center version of the CMT-340s for horizontal placement. Since the the center version is designed to compensate for being placed on a TV it is ideal for my situation.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ClutchBrake
My brain must be fried. I received an e-mail from David regarding my situation. His recommendation couldn't have been more ideal... or obvious. Except to me, of course.

Place the book
shelf speakers on shelves. Duh! Of course he was polite and informative, I just can't help feeling a little dumb.
Bookshelf speakers happen to perform best when on stands and away from barriers. So you were not dumb for trying to avoid this...

edit-if you do put them on a shelf try not to enclose it (no shelf directly on top of it or to the sides.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Tpigeion2003:

If your sitting area is against the back wall, surround speaker location on the R & L adjoining walls might necessitate placement near the corners so that the speakers are positioned 2' above ear level. Does this now present a contradiction to the elevated corner placement that should NOT have a side barrier ( the rear wall)? Realizing that sometimes perfect placements are very difficult, your thoughts?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tpigeon2003
edit-if you do put them on a shelf try not to enclose it (no shelf directly on top of it or to the sides.
They won't be enclosed at all. What I will probably do is build a shelf the exact diameter of the speaker and use the "legs" of the shelf to get the speaker 4-5" from the wall. There will be no wall to the left or right, only rear.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
What I did was just get the next step down from my mains and use them as surrounds. I would have gotten an identical pair just like my mains for the surrounds, but I don't know if my floor could take that kind of weight and I know my wife has limits, of which I feel I am closing in on. I went one step further down for my center and laid it down on it's side for a center channel. I have some pictures in my gallery (Theater #1 - The Sonic Temple) but I have refined the speaker locations slightly since the photos.

My room is only 15 1/2' wide, so I don't think you will have too much difficulty there, although it could get a little cramped.

If you are located in California and wanted to hear it, let me know. I also have a smaller theater in the back with speakers crossed over at 80Hz on an HSU sub for comparison.

I personally prefer full range surrounds, but I can see where economics can dictate other set-ups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.