AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My UTV PVR box finally died, but the hard drive in it is still good. So I want to take the hard drive out and use it in my pc. Only problem is that the pc doesn't see the hard drive from my UTV PVR box when it's installed in the pc. The hard drive is a 120 GB Seagate that I installed sometime ago. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try here
Code:
Code:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175762&postcount=25
You might want to read the whole thread too.

kazak

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Good luck with the "unlocking" process. To bad the UTV had to die... If you had a "spare" UTV or had upgraded the hard drive the unlock procedure would be rather easy.

Matter of fact... if the UTV is still "viable" (Can power up and "marry/format" another UTV hard drive) you could take an OLD (ATA-3 compatible) drive you don't care about and have it take over as the "married" drive (Maybe your original 40/80GB UTV Drive would do the trick).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroticaman /forum/post/14281064

My UTV PVR box finally died, but the hard drive in it is still good. So I want to take the hard drive out and use it in my pc. Only problem is that the pc doesn't see the hard drive from my UTV PVR box when it's installed in the pc. The hard drive is a 120 GB Seagate that I installed sometime ago. Can anyone help me?

I do have another UTV PVR Box That's working. It also has a 120 GB hard drive that I put in it

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well then... If you want to you can temporarily "swap" the 120GB drive from the "bad" UTV into the good UTV... Let it "unlock" the "bad" drive and then pop in the "good" drive and away you go... Then the "Bad" UTV can be used for parts with no "married" drive...

Double check the UTV FAQ and threads on the "unlock" procedure... But it should basically be 1. Pull Access Card on "good" UTV 2. Open Case 3. Disconnect/Connect Drive(s) 4. Power up UTV for 5 minutes to let it "unlock". Disconnect IDE Data Cable. Allow about 1 minute per GB (160GB=2hr 40min. probably less but rule of thumb) 5. Reconnect original drive 6. Power up "good" UTV and you're done.

It is best during the "unlock" to power the "Bad" UTV drive via the "Bad" UTV OR an alternative PC Power Source (AT Power Supply or PC). This allows you to reduce your "good" UTV's down time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I didn't realize that you had another UTV. Dave's suggestion is the most sure fire way to go but it's more of a PITA. Some people have reported problems using the unlock app with large drives.

Good luck and keep us posted...

kazak

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is the UTV drive wipe mhd3 app if you want to try it. Like mentioned above, unplug your primary drives first to prevent a horrible "oh chit what have I done".

Should take a couple of hrs or so for a 120GB drive like also mentioned above. Just be patient and it should work.

The zip file also contains a read-me file with instructions for use.

http://rapidshare.com/files/13022185..._Wipe.zip.html

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for that mhd3 utility.

The only problem is if you no longer have a floppy drive.

In my case, I do have Nero on my win2k system, and they have an option to create a bootable (cd or dvd) disk. I think this software came free with my dvd recorder. They have a dr-dos boot image you can use. Since I have one machine I keep around for just these sorts of tasks, I just pulled the regular hd and booted from the dvd I just burned.

After booting, you need to go to the cd drive, which was drive d: in my system (I just typed letters, b:, then c:, then finally d:, till it found it). It appears they create a ram disk and assign it the letter a: If you guess at the cd drive letter, and there's nothing there, it will timeout and ask what to do, just hit abort until you find one. Then type dir and you'll find mhd3 right where you put it.

One warning, when it gives you the 4 drive numbers to choose from, if you type a 1-4, and there's a drive attached, the program will begin immediately. It does not ask "are you sure".

Nice little utility.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts