AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am in the process of building an HTPC for HD video and web browsing on my Pioneer Elite. I have been using my PS3 for browsing but it does a poor job for this and does not have enough memory for HD video.

One good thing the PS3 has is an easy way to increase the size of the web page for those whose content is too small to see comfortably.

Is anyone using their HTPC for serious web browsing on their HD TVs? What wireless controller are you using. How satisfield are you with your solution?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA Golfer /forum/post/17010456

Guys,

I am in the process of building an HTPC for HD video and web browsing on my Pioneer Elite. I have been using my PS3 for browsing but it does a poor job for this and does not have enough memory for HD video.

One good thing the PS3 has is an easy way to increase the size of the web page for those whose content is too small to see comfortably.

Is anyone using their HTPC for serious web browsing on their HD TVs? What wireless controller are you using. How satisfield are you with your solution?

Thanks!!

I am a little confused. What do you mean by wireless controller. Are you wanting to know about what Wireless Networking adapters people are using. Or a wireless controller like the 360 controller or a wireless remote control. Can you post back more specific.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Don't. Use. A. Controller.

Get yourself a good wireless mouse/keyboard--preferably 2.4ghz wireless. I do a lot of web browsing on my HTPC from my couch 15 feet away. Being reclined and checking email or facebook is a very pleasant experience. One tip is to set Windows and Firefox to extra large rendering so that it is easier to read from far away.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Unless I've been transported back in time to 2004, you can increase the font size in a web browser by simply holding ctrl and scrolling the mousewheel. In the Chrome browser that magnifies all content including pictures. I believe ctrl + does the same. I use an RF keyboard and a Gyration Air Mouse for my HTPC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am currently using the combination of Logitech MX Air Mouse and Safari to browse in the living room. This has been an excellent mouse, particularly with "air gestures" that make it easy to e.g. zoom text while browsing. I have configured "select" button as air zoom button, which means that by pressing the button and waving hand to left or right, I can zoom in or out text.

http://mymediaexperience.com/2009/08...-media-center/

·
Registered
764 Posts
I suggest an RF keyboard with integrated mousing device such as these .

I suggest the trackball models because I like to play TWG on mine and they allow you to swing pretty well (not as good as a real mouse though).

BT

·
Registered
110 Posts
Last time I tried Chrome it sucked (but that was version 1). It doesn't enlarge everything like activex windows properly. This is where internet explorer actually shines. It looks like the way it renders the page, it actually zooms in to a pre-rendered page so everything is perfectly proportional and keeps text very sharp.

I use the Logitech PS3 bluetooth keyboard with mousepad. Yeah, it'll work with PCs as long as you have a bluetooth adapter.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I do a bit of browsing on my 40" LCD and I'm pretty happy with the results. My settings are:

Resolution 1920x1080p24

DPI 150%

Firefox

Firefox addon QuickPageZoom( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6715 )

Firefox does a pretty good job scaling, but with all of the different optimized HTML pages out there, I was getting the annoying bottom horizontal scroll bar on a lot of pages. The QuickPageZoom addon solved that problem. 2 plus and minus magnifying glasses at the bottom of the screen easily fix any mangled pages. Extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Fun fact: If you're using a mouse/keyboard with a scroll wheel, ctrl+scroll will zoom in/out in Firefox. It makes resizing web pages on my TV very easy.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm using my Panasonic 50" Plasma and a MS Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I didn't know about the scroll wheel zooming but I use "CNTL+/-" all the time to zoom.

I get some IR from time to time on the plasma but nothing permanent at this time and really LOVE the fact that my monitor is HUGE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts