AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a Squeezebox Classic at work for about a year now and I absolutely love it but the problem is I can't always see the display to change stations etc. So this Christmas I treated myself to the Duet, but I had nothing but problems with it, mainly that the battery would not charge. I returned it, then I found out on Logitechs website that there are a few iPod Touch apps that can control my current Squeezebox:

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_third_party.html#iphone

I bought the iPeng app for -$10 and it's fantastic! It's cheaper to buy an iPod and use it as a controller than to buy the Logitech Duet controller.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Now, iPeng just recently got an update to version 1.1 that will allow it to use 3rd party plugins, makes it more or less feature complete for SC (that is, it has similar functionality than the Squeezebox Controller) and it allows to control SqueezeNetwork, too.

See details at http://penguinlovesmusic.de/

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good info, but its a more expensive option. The difference in price between a Squeezebox Classic and a Squeezebox duet is around $100, but the cheapest iPod Touch is over $200. Still, if you also need a new mp3 player, its definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh /forum/post/16257842

Good info, but its a more expensive option. The difference in price between a Squeezebox Classic and a Squeezebox duet is around $100, but the cheapest iPod Touch is over $200. Still, if you also need a new mp3 player, its definitely the way to go.

If you're strictly on price, it depends:

If you do have the Classic, then the iPod touch is cheaper than the Controller (even including iPeng).

You can even theoretically use a Squeezebox Receiver without the Controller (but you need a free tool called Net::UDAP to configure it, don't know how well that works) - again, the cheaper option.

But most people will use this if they already own an iPod touch or an iPhone and then it's definitely the budget option

1 - 4 of 4 Posts