AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a Replay, and it seems that Cablevision is capping my upload speed at 150kbps after using IVS a few times. At most I've sent 7 shows total. They capped me and called me days later after I complained. They agreed to release the cap after reading their terms of service. I sent a show the next day, and I was capped again within an hour.

I know many people who have Cablevision and send a lot more shows than I do without ever getting capped. Is this happening to a lot of people or do I just live in a busy area?

Thanks.. I'd appreciate your input. I don't think I really have any options at this point but I'd like to know if it's happening to others.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon123 /forum/post/0

I know many people who have Cablevision and send a lot more shows than I do without ever getting capped. Is this happening to a lot of people or do I just live in a busy area?

Read your Terms of Service or whatever Cablevision calls it. Most home accounts are not permitted to run a server. You usually need a business account to run a server.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Terms of Service does say that you can't run a server. But why is it then that many others can use IVS without any problem (sending hundreds of shows), and yet I've sent 7 and been capped twice. It must have to do with my area.

I'm afraid they're going to cap me when I use a Slingbox as well.

Does this happen to a lot of people other than me?

·
Registered
841 Posts
We have Time Warner Cable service and RoadRunner for an ISP with a standard home account. The terms of service say I'm not supposed to be running a server, but I've been doing that for some years and they have never capped my upload speed any lower than our service is normally (about 375Kbps). Besides a poopli rating of 720, I also upload weather data every five minutes to my RoadRunner homepage, as well as the quasi-government site that collects citizen weather reports.

So you have an anal retentive ISP who has nothing better to do than harass you. It's too bad the cable companies have such a strangle-hold on internet service the way they do. If you could simply call up RoadRunner and say you wanted them for your ISP, CableVision might be a little more flexible.

Bye.

·
Registered
790 Posts
When I complained to my phone company that the DSL modem was crashing and required a reboot frequently when I was uploading Replay shows, they directed me to a firmware version that solved the problem.

The acceptable use policy prohibits using the service for a server and says interpretation of "a server" will be at their sole discretion. I guess sending a show every so often doesn't bother them.

Crunchy Doodle, you can't have my 720 rating. You've sent 720 shows, which puts you in a whole different league!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Cablevision is known to do that. Other providers don't do it (or at least not as often). I was got capped by CV b/c I upgraded my P2P program and it started sharing my files again. I probably wouldn't have noticed if my Vonage line started having problems.

I am on Fios now b/c of all that capping BS that CV does.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I'd love to switch to DSL and dump cable altogether (internet and TV).

Unfortunately I am the only house on my block and my line goes through a coupla old 1980 boxes before it gets to the telco. Every subdivision around me is being upgraded for DSL. But it in no way is worth upgrading for lil' ol me. I have have a mind to rent a ditch witch and shred my own line.

Maybe then they'd put me on the new box.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had used cablevision for years (NJ), and sent hundreds of shows via IVS, and didn't get capped. I'm on DSL now because it's cheaper, not because of capping, but I may consider switching back to cablevision because of better speed and reliability.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have charter and they cap at 256 all the time...! If you had a router that let you do QOS, you could limit your replay upload bandwidth to say 200 kbps, and they might not be so quick to capping your upload speed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Cablevision is COMPLETELY inconsistant in its capping. I have them and have been capped. When you ask what is "too much" they can't tell you.

If you want to read more, there are THOUSANDS of posts on cablevision's capping at the optimum online forums over at dslreports.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not sure that using QoS to limit the upstream bandwidth of the Replay will do anything. Cablevision told me that the problem isn't the amount of data that I'm sending but rather that I was doing "continuous uploading." Of course they won't give me any information on how much is too much, etc.

So if continuous uploading is the problem, I could potentially have problems beyond the Replay. What if I'm working from home and connected via VPN or Citrix for 6-8hrs of the day. I'm not sending a lot of data upstream, but it's still continuous. Am I going to get capped for that?

I may try to turn on QoS on my router and restrict my Replay to something like 256k upstream and see what that does. I'd like to be able to contribute to the Replay/Poopli community, but I can't do it at the expense of my upstream bandwidth. Especially if that's going to impede the real work I need to do.

Cablevision sucks. When FiOS is available in my area I'm switching on the first day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.