AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LFE port on my sub has been acting flaky so decided to run my lfe cable into a y splitter then into the L/R ports on my sub.
Note - I have an harmon kardon ts8 sub that has no manual cross over settings on the sub itself. Essentially I am only able to adjust a subwoofer level.

Is this set up ok?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The LFE port on my sub has been acting flaky so decided to run my lfe cable into a y splitter then into the L/R ports on my sub.
Note - I have an harmon kardon ts8 sub that has no manual cross over settings on the sub itself. Essentially I am only able to adjust a subwoofer level.

Is this set up ok?
According to the service manual:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/689558/Harman-Kardon-Sub-Ts7.html?page=3#manual

There are internal HPF and LPF that will restrict the range from 28-170hz. While not ideal to let the subwoofer go that high, the filter should ensure that the higher range signals don't damage the driver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. I have the low pass on and I've set the cross over on my avr to 120. Volume on sub is between 9-10 am and sub gain on avr is 0 to -3 depending on what I am watching. I've been testing with reference scenes across my movie collection and so far so good. Jurassic park T-Rex scene kicks a$$. Wondering what other adjustments I should make??

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
Will it work? Yes
It is ideal? No

If you can't set your mains to large, then it won't be very good at all.
Make sure to set the LFE to none in the menu, or a LFE to mains redirect (if that is an option and your mains can handle the bass.)

The best solution is to buy a new working AVR with warranty, but until then...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure avr is ok. It's the sub that's the issue. Will be getting a new sub later this year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm assuming that you are using the L/R line level in. (RCA) using a Y cable.

If your AVR has auto setup it will set the distance (phase relationship) relative to the front speakers.
Yes, I am using the L/R line in and Y cable. My AVR is an HK 135 with a remote with built in mic that auto configures the speakers (which are all satellite speakers that came with the sub). Right now I have all speakers set to small with a cross-over of 120.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts