AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this. I was planning to purchase a Dell monitor and use it as a TV monitor. I will all external sources to send signal, my only problem is how do you remotely turn the monitor on and off? I know I can just get up and turn it on/off manually, but I'm lazy :) Does anyone have a solution for this?

I was thinking about getting one of those X-10 appliance modules but I don't think it works for what I need since it has a toggle rather than a switch to turn the LCD on/off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply jin,

That did come to mind. That won't hurt the monitor at all?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also add...

is there an RGB to S-video or composite connector assuming the LCD I get does not have an S-Vid in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Standby mode HELPS the monitor... longer life, less energy... everyone wins!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or how about the clapper? You'd be the envy of the neighborhood.

All kidding aside, definitely take a look at the response time of the LCD you're considering. I tried watching a DVD on a Dell 1702FP which has a response time of about 40ms. Terrible ghosting and trailing and overall jerkiness.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
docrings,

Thanks, good to know that it won't hurt the monitor.

wiscy,

didn't know about that problem. I currently have an HP 15" with my computer that has an All-In-Wonder card and the standard cable looks ok. Never tried to watch a DVD with it.

Must try to check that out.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If the LCD doesn't have an S-video or composite input, you'll need some sort of line doubler or scaler to watch TV on it, unless you're using a TV tuner card in your computer.

The cheapest one that works pretty well is the Viewsonic VB50, which runs about $100. I would sniff around on the Video processors forum for more information. About this device, as well as other similar ones.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'm using a 20" Dell as a TV. The lack of remote on-off is quite annoying. This is especially true because when I shut off all the input signals (which are switched S-video), the monitor displays a floating "no signal" doohickey.

So I end up shutting it off by hand.

I would not leave it on all day and watch that thing (it never seems to stop floating, but I'm not truthfully sure). But it sure uses less power in full-off mode than in no-signal mode. And, given that the power supply is external, I'm not worried about "wear and tear" on it.

Finally, this model has both composite and S-video and an adequate -- albeit mediocre -- deinterlacer.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.