AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one use a matching monitor for their center channel? I’m not concerned it wouldn’t work well but would love to see pictures to show my wife. I have a basement theater and bonus room I get to choose for and she gets the family room but since we spend most of our time there, I have been wanting to get some better speakers.

I want to upgrade the FL/FR speakers to high quality monitors I would use in home theater bypass mode for music, with a sub or two, and would like to get a third matching speaker to use as the center. The mains would be on 24” stands and the center would need to be on an 18” stand. The sub/s for the mains would not be part of the AVR’s bass management in HTB mode, I'll be using a Bryston 10B Sub crossover.

We currently use the Infinity Cascade Speaker System (Model 9's are the mains).

Don't mind the temporary puppy pen, we have an 11 week old Red Tri Australian Shepherd.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It the acoustical ideal, and quite common for people to do that if they have the space. I think @Zorba922 has some photos kicking around.

Reactions: GeorgeHolland

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
Any one use a matching monitor for their center channel? I’m not concerned it wouldn’t work well but would love to see pictures to show my wife.
Here ya go...the 3rd photo is the best looking, IMO. Get yourself a wide wide cabinet and wall mount the TV high enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here ya go...the 3rd photo is the best looking, IMO. Get yourself a wide wide cabinet and wall mount the TV high enough.
I don't want to use a cabinet. The components are not visible in the room so I would need to get a shorter stand for the center speaker. As mentioned, an 18" should work. I already deal with wild Aussies rampaging around the room, I also have an 8 year old Blue Merle and sometimes dog sit my daughters Blue Merle. I never worried too much about the Infinity's getting knocked about, I will be more concerned with more expensive monitors though.

Eventually I will get a larger TV but my 60" Pioneer 141 is still going strong.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
I don't want to use a cabinet. The components are not visible in the room so I would need to get a shorter stand for the center speaker. As mentioned, an 18" should work. I already deal with wild Aussies rampaging around the room, I also have an 8 year old Blue Merle and sometimes dog sit my daughters Blue Merle. I never worried too much about the Infinity's getting knocked about, I will be more concerned with more expensive monitors though.
How about wall mounting some front-ported or sealed cabinet speakers? That would be the most dog-proof solution IMO, and you could have the tweeters vertically aligned, which is the acoustic ideal.

These are both dual 4" woofer speakers and would definitely need a sub or two to do the bass---the Ascend is probably the more neutral of the two.

3 x RSL CG23
or
3 x Ascend 200SE

further up the price chain would be the RSL CG25, and Ascend Duo LCR (these would be a real treat if you listen to much music, due to their RAAL tweeters).

There's also the Emotiva C1 which is a sealed cabinet 3 way speaker and very affordable, 3 of them all horizontal would work well too.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How about wall mounting some front-ported or sealed cabinet speakers? That would be the most dog-proof solution IMO, and you could have the tweeters vertically aligned, which is the acoustic ideal.

These are both dual 4" woofer speakers and would definitely need a sub or two to do the bass---the Ascend is probably the more neutral of the two.

3 x RSL CG23
or
3 x Ascend 200SE

further up the price chain would be the RSL CG25, and Ascend Duo LCR (these would be a real treat if you listen to much music, due to their RAAL tweeters).

There's also the Emotiva C1 which is a sealed cabinet 3 way speaker and very affordable, 3 of them all horizontal would work well too.
I can manage the dogs, to an extent. I'm looking at $5000 + list retail per pair monitors but have some used options on my radar and am close to purchasing them.

Edit: I'll add, I am really after optimum 2-channel music listening. I will be using a preamp in Home Theater Bypass mode and a Bryston 6BSST along with a Bryston 10B Sub Crossover. My regret is where do I put my turntable; I may be able to put it in the laundry room that is behind the wall through the door you see in the picture in my first post.

2nd Edit: I'm committed, just purchased 3 ea. Dynaudio Contour 20's, 2 with stands. I'll need to find a stand for the center.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts