AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several speakers that i'd really like to use for our Home Theater & Family Room Basement..

So my question is can these be multi-wired to the 5.1 system, without hurting it or the speakers with good quality result ???? Best procedure ..

I have 2 Monster-sized Concert Quality Fisher , & 2 Fisher Large Towers

2 Yamaha Large Bookcase

4 Sony Large Bookcase

& then a nice Polk Center & Sony Subwoofer speakers.

All HELP appreciated.

ps; these speaker will cover a large area in basement environment !!
:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have several speakers that i'd really like to use for our Home Theater & Family Room Basement..

So my question is can these be multi-wired to the 5.1 system, without hurting it or the speakers with good quality result ???? Best procedure ..

I have 2 Monster-sized Concert Quality Fisher ,
& 2 Fisher Large Towers

2 Yamaha Large Bookcase

4 Sony Large Bookcase

All HELP appreciated.

Is what i'm wanting to do so dumb that no one wants to tell me one way or the other ???

I just don't want to blow my receiver or speakers by trying this..

HELP appreciated !! :D

·
The Village Idiot
9,627 Posts
Lets see if I get correctly what you want to do - you're wanting to connect 2 or more speakers to each speaker connection on your AVR? Not a good idea. Read your manual. It will tell you the same thing. You didn't list your AVR - if it has a zone II - and most do (some have 3-4 zones) you can use that connection to drive one pair of speakers in a separate location. Or just buy another AVR - cheaper since if you do this you WILL be buying another AVR - you'll have TWO but only one will be working.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Yes, definately buy a second reciever!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Pick your 5 best speakers for zone 1, the 2 runners up for zone 2. DO NOT CONNECT MORE THAN 1 SPEAKER PER TERMINAL!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you really want to do it, you could read up on parallel-series wiring. Not a great plan though since you don't really know if your speakers have similar impedance, and it could be dangerous if you've got low impedance swings ( rated impedance doesn't tell you everything, and fine details are especially important when custom wiring). And you won't get more volume unless your receiver is capable of putting out higher power than your individual speakers can handle (doubtful, with 5 channels running, especially in the case of the towers). At the same time, I guess it could benefit you in ways related to the size of the room (speaker placement, room acoustics). It could create a potentially interesting soundscape, or a terrible one. I don't know that another receiver would help things unless it had pre outs for each channel (or your current receiver has pre outs), as zone 2 will usually just pass a 2 channel signal, so it could only be used to double up the front channels, and that could create other issues with the mains drowning out the center (though the 2 channel signal would pass the dialogue, but that in itself defeats some of the purpose of the center channel in imaging the dialogue to the center). You could try wiring in series-parallel, but bear in mind that with non matching speakers it could blow your receiver, and it will probably not provide many benefits for HT use ( usually it's more of a solution for outdoor or multi room or more ambient audio where overall volume matters little and it's more about having enough speakers in the right spots ). On the other hand, I guess out could add an interesting immersive quality to the audio with more discrete locations for sound to arrive from.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts

I have 2 Monster-sized Concert Quality Fisher , & 2 Fisher Large Towers

2 Yamaha Large Bookcase

4 Sony Large Bookcase

All HELP appreciated.

Hint: Sometimes, less is more .....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts