AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of using multizone support in some of the newer receivers to drive a passive subwoofer I have. It seems fairly straightforward on most any brand receiver with multizone: I just configure the subwoofer as a zone, and connect a coax from the sub out to one of the inputs to the zone. BTW I'm looking at Denon receivers, the 2809ci or the 3808.

The concern I have is whether this will be a logistical hassle... for instance do some receivers require you to rechoose the multizone source or settings everytime you power them up? Are there other ways that this multizone sub configuration would interfere with normal 5.1 use?

Has anyone done this as a proof of concept?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any references for where I might learn more about delay on the zone connections? At any rate that's not a deal-killer since the multeq setup process should correct for the sub timing delay unless it's ridiculously large.

Am I the only one who's considering this... It seems like receiver manufacturers should advertise support for passive subwoofers... certainly a more useful feature than biamping which most receiver manufacturers explicitly support.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Interesting. No, never tried this. Sounds like it should work in theory, but obviously you can't do 7.1 since you need the amps to be doing zone two. Worth trying out.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One possible wrinkle is that most unpowered subs are relatively low impedance (mine are approx 3-4 ohms), while most receivers explicitly say they don't support less than 6-8 ohms.

For satellites and such, I would have no problem putting a 3 ohm speaker on a receiver rated for 6-8 ohms; the higher current demands mean that a 100 wpc amp might only deliver 50 wpc, but that's more than enough for satellite channels (or even front stage as far as I'm concerned). But subs are so power hungry that playing loud, they could suck down all the current of the amplifier, potentially increasing warranty claims on the receiver. So I'm guessing that is why the receiver manufacturers don't advertise the capability.

However in my case I live in a condo and can't crank the volume anyway, so I think I would be okay powering my subs from an AVR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts