AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a quick search but didn't see anything directly towards this, at least not recently. I just purchased an ae100 and plan on getting a new notebook computer soon as well. Do the top of the line Dell's/Gateway etc. work well to put the info through? I would just as soon go this way rather than upgrade my DVD player etc. if it works well. I can also use it at school as well for certain projects.

Fred Hicks

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 and it is pretty good. Your other choice would be a GeForce4 To Go. Both GPU's are almost identical in game performance with the GeForce being more compatable. The Radeon on the other hand has a better DVD picture but either one is great. They both have a S-Video out put that works well and gives a nice DVD picture. I would guess that if you bought a VGA converter the picture would be even better. Get the smallest processor you can with these cards as there is not a big performance difference in the smallest mobile P4 and the largest mobile P4 due to other bottle necks in the system. The only real big difference is the cost so save yourself a few bucks.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Plus only the Dell 8100 has SPDIF digital audio output. A select few others do also like the Winbook Z series. Without SPDIF output it's pretty tough to have a decent HTPC :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was probably leaning towards the Dell 8200 unless they upgrade in the very near future. I have a couple desktops sitting around here I could probably use, but I wouldn't mind cutting the junk our around here I don't need. As long as I can get a pretty dang good picture through the AE100, then I would probably head the Dell direction. I don't know if anyone out there has the Dell notebook with 64mb video card....and whether they have used an AE100 through it?...........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.