AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just setting up my first home theater - have a 50" plasma monitor, and now I'm looking for the sound system. For receiver, I'm leaning toward the Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K, but need help with the speakers. I have an old (40 years old!) stereo receiver and speakers, which still work just fine, so I had the thought that maybe I could save some money, at least for a year or two, by not buying a new subwoofer, but use the old stereo amp and one or both of the old speakers as a powered subwoofer by running the subwoofer output of the new receiver into the L (or R) Aux input of the old stereo amp, and running the amp in mono mode. The old speakers have 10" woofers (and also, of course midrange and tweeters) - will the new receiver eliminate everything above the low frequencies sufficiently to make the presence of the midrange and tweeters negligible? Should I hook up both speakers, or just one, or hook up both and turn the L/R balance all the way to the right (or left)? Is this idea worth a try, or am I crazy to even think about it?

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRuler /forum/post/17049724

I'm just setting up my first home theater - have a 50" plasma monitor, and now I'm looking for the sound system. For receiver, I'm leaning toward the Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K, but need help with the speakers. I have an old (40 years old!) stereo receiver and speakers, which still work just fine, so I had the thought that maybe I could save some money, at least for a year or two, by not buying a new subwoofer, but use the old stereo amp and one or both of the old speakers as a powered subwoofer by running the subwoofer output of the new receiver into the L (or R) Aux input of the old stereo amp, and running the amp in mono mode. The old speakers have 10" woofers (and also, of course midrange and tweeters) - will the new receiver eliminate everything above the low frequencies sufficiently to make the presence of the midrange and tweeters negligible? Should I hook up both speakers, or just one, or hook up both and turn the L/R balance all the way to the right (or left)? Is this idea worth a try, or am I crazy to even think about it?

A "SUB"-woofer produces sound below the capabilities of the standard "woofer". Your 40 year old speakers clearly have "woofers" in them, not subwoofers. No matter how you manage the bass, midrange and treble going into those speakers, you won't get subwoofage out of them.

Just get a subwoofer.

Craig

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would blow them up trying that...turn the volume ALL the way up, and play WotW...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/17049985

A "SUB"-woofer produces sound below the capabilities of the standard "woofer". Your 40 year old speakers clearly have "woofers" in them, not subwoofers. No matter how you manage the bass, midrange and treble going into those speakers, you won't get subwoofage out of them.

Just get a subwoofer.

Craig

So the receiver s/w output has a frequency response below 20 Hz? I looked at the specs on the receiver I'm thinking about getting and they specify amplifier output power (no separate spec for s/w channel) from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, which is what my old amp and speakers are rated for. Of course, that spec on the new receiver doesn't really say that there isn't a lot of power below 20 Hz on the s/w, that was just my impression - maybe wrong. I suppose the worst that could happen would be that I blow out my old speakers or amp, but if I have to go buy a new subwoofer, they will be useless to me anyway, so maybe worth a try. I would probably buy a new s/w anyway in a year or so - it's just that I'm already spending a bunch on the monitor, receiver, speakers, and BD player, so trying to postpone the s/w purchase if I can.

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRuler /forum/post/17050315

So the receiver s/w output has a frequency response below 20 Hz?

Dolby's spec's say all channels should be full-range 3 Hz to 20 kHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRuler /forum/post/17050315

I looked at the specs on the receiver I'm thinking about getting and they specify amplifier output power (no separate spec for s/w channel) from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, which is what my old amp and speakers are rated for. Of course, that spec on the new receiver doesn't really say that there isn't a lot of power below 20 Hz on the s/w, that was just my impression - maybe wrong. I suppose the worst that could happen would be that I blow out my old speakers or amp, but if I have to go buy a new subwoofer, they will be useless to me anyway, so maybe worth a try. I would probably buy a new s/w anyway in a year or so - it's just that I'm already spending a bunch on the monitor, receiver, speakers, and BD player, so trying to postpone the s/w purchase if I can.

The spec's on your receiver have no bearing on the capabilities of your speakers. Just because your receiver *sends* the deep bass to your old system doesn't mean it is capable of *reproducing* those signals.

I'll say it again... Just buy a subwoofer.

Craig

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie /forum/post/17050385

lolololol

That's not very nice.

Receivers don't even power subwoofers. The dedicated LFE output has to go into an amp of some sort and then power a subwoofer.

Edit: Basically what Craig said, you're mixing up the channels specs with what your speakers can (and can't) reproduce.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with this idea.:)
I have a stereo AVR with subwoofer outputs.
I run them to a 75 watt TAmp from parts express.
The output from the TAmp goes to two KLH 6 vintage acoustic suspension speakers.
It works great.
The key is the quality of the speaker being repurposed as a subwoofer.:)
Also the quality of the speakers being used as left and right channel.
Also picking the crossover. I use about 80Hz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with this idea.:)
I have a stereo AVR with subwoofer outputs.
I run them to a 75 watt TAmp from parts express.
The output from the TAmp goes to two KLH 6 vintage acoustic suspension speakers.
It works great.
The key is the quality of the speaker being repurposed as a subwoofer.:)
Also the quality of the speakers being used as left and right channel.
Also picking the crossover. I use about 80Hz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts