AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the HC-X900 for a couple of years to capture action at RC aero events and publish my work to YouTube. Challenging from a cam perspective because the subjects are often fast moving. Most features of the cam get really tested. I'm considering going to 4K and wanted to ask for recommendations. Optical Image Stabilisation, good FPS, and quality viewfinder are really important. Any recommendations appreciated?

Examples of my work
85% scale RC Pitts Biplane
youtube.com/watch?v=lSLNoqxtjXQ

Huge scale RC ME-262 jet
youtube.com/watch?v=P1xsCp1h-rw

Thanks - Dom (Essential RC)
facebook.com/groups/essentialRC

·
Registered
533 Posts
I suppose your options are for the newer Panasonic cameras. The first 4K camcorder is the 970 or 870 which is an upgrade for the 850. It has the same image sensor size. The 4K cameras have a shorter usable zoom range and, if this is important, the non 4K 770 would be a better choice.
The viewfinder is the weak point as very few Panasonics have one. The 4K HC-X1000E is the first in the range. Since my Canon HV20 back in 2005, I have never used a viewfinder simply because the on-board mics pick up all the operator sound. I started then with the LCD and have never needed a viewfinder since. Both my Panasonic V700 and V750 have LCD which work perfectly in all light conditions and I have never needed my screen shade even in the brightest sunlight. IMO the viewfinder has now become redundant and is just extra cost, The LCD is usable in all conditions and essential for tripod work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terry. Viewfinder is a must for me for tracking these 200mph RC jets. LCD screen is practically useless in bright sunlight. So disappointingly that counts out the 2 new 4K camcorders. The X1000E is a bit heavy for my type of work but it might be an option. I need something I can carry for long periods rather than tripod mount. Thanks again.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks Terry. Viewfinder is a must for me for tracking these 200mph RC jets. LCD screen is practically useless in bright sunlight. So disappointingly that counts out the 2 new 4K camcorders. The X1000E is a bit heavy for my type of work but it might be an option. I need something I can carry for long periods rather than tripod mount. Thanks again.
I record the training jets from RAF Valley as they fly at 250ft over our house. (fortunately not too often - 'cos they are very noisy) They often fly "below" us in the valleys on the mountain passes in Snowdonia - very unnerving!! I still feel that time using the LCD will pay off and I have never "lost" the picture in bright sunlight, the screen is so good.

Incidentally "Terfyn" means a boundary in Welsh - my name is Mike:)

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I suppose your options are for the newer Panasonic cameras. The first 4K camcorder is the 970 or 870 which is an upgrade for the 850. It has the same image sensor size. The 4K cameras have a shorter usable zoom range and, if this is important, the non 4K 770 would be a better choice.
Both the V770 and the VX870 have a 20x zoom lens.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Yes. But if you checked you would see that the 870 in 4K mode has an Intelligent Zoom of 25x and the 770 has an Intelligent Zoom of 50x.
Comparing the Intelligent zoom of the 4K mode in the VX870 to the HD mode of the V770 is not a fair comparison at all. In the HD mode of the VX870, the Intelligent zoom goes to 40x but still, your getting a quality hit going that far.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Comparing the Intelligent zoom of the 4K mode in the VX870 to the HD mode of the V770 is not a fair comparison at all. In the HD mode of the VX870, the Intelligent zoom goes to 40x but still, your getting a quality hit going that far.
That's your opinion. Why buy a 4K camera and then run in HD mode? I stay by what you call an unfair comparison, the zoom of the 870 is not as good as the 770.
Clearly this may not matter to the customer but one contributor to this Forum originally bought the 550 for its 90x zoom, as compared to the 750 with 50x zoom, specifically for wildlife photography.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts