AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this be possible? Idea would be to use the 5.1 analog ins as inputs from a pre/pro that would apply the digital crossovers and driving the speakers from the Panny's internal amps. Disregarding the insanity of using a receiver as a power amp with a pre-pro (I realize most people would go the other way), would this be operationally possible?

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Lots of people are doing that with the JVC RX-F10s over at Audiocircle. It reportedly has a better analog section than the other digital units out (XR70 isn't out yet).

I bought a JVC for the purpose of biamping a pair of speakers I'm building. I think I should get it on Monday or Tuesday. It's gonna be a while before I get the speakers built though.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm using some Flying Moles for my fronts and thought I'd try some digital amps for the sides and rears. I love the power to weight ratio.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made may way through the monster thread over at audiocircle. Just want to confirm: it is possible to take the surround outs from my pre/pro and feed the multichannel inputs of the JVC, and then run my speakers off the JVC?

Where should I set the volume control in order to develop full output from the amps?

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
When running a analog input from a pre-out of another unit to the Panasonic XR, you do understand that now you add 2 steps of conversion. One is the digital-to-analog conversion for the pre-outs and the second is the analog-to-digital conversion from the 5.1 inputs into the Panasonic (TI) digital amplifier circuit.

Maybe.. it will sound OK but it is best to avoid any redundant steps for conversion whenever possible..

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first step is going to happen, no matter what amp I use, as my pre-pro outputs an analog, not a digital signal. BTW, based on Stereodude's comments, I'm talking the JVC now, not the Panny if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonygeno
The first step is going to happen, no matter what amp I use, as my pre-pro outputs an analog, not a digital signal. BTW, based on Stereodude's comments, I'm talking the JVC now, not the Panny if that makes a difference.
Correcto..

How good it sounds really depends on the quality of analog-to-digital converters. Just be sure to do a in-depth listening comparison before putting down the $..

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
I made may way through the monster thread over at audiocircle. Just want to confirm: it is possible to take the surround outs from my pre/pro and feed the multichannel inputs of the JVC, and then run my speakers off the JVC?

Where should I set the volume control in order to develop full output from the amps?
Use your test tones and set the volume on the JVC so they are at the same volume they used to be at.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That I get. But the issue is whether the volume needs to be goosed to a certain level in order to develop full power. The test tones are -30db, so although I might be able to hit 75db, I want to make sure I can hit 105db per speaker. Setting the processor to -30db might not let me develop enough power if I've set the JVC at 5 on the volume scale and the processor at +10db to set the test tones (an extreme example, I realize).

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
That I get. But the issue is whether the volume needs to be goosed to a certain level in order to develop full power. The test tones are -30db, so although I might be able to hit 75db, I want to make sure I can hit 105db per speaker. Setting the processor to -30db might not let me develop enough power if I've set the JVC at 5 on the volume scale and the processor at +10db to set the test tones (an extreme example, I realize).
If you set it so it will hit 75dB it'll hit full power with the proper input signal. It's all about gain... The volume knob is just gain. It's not a max output setting.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
It's not that simple, Stereodude. Proper gain structure is essential to get the best performance with these setups. There are three places the signal can clip: the output of the preamp, the input of the receiver (ADC) and the output of the receiver (power amp). In a perfect world, all 3 would clip at the same time.

TG, do you have any equipment to measure distortion (or an oscilloscope to look at the shape of a sinewave)? If so, you can determine the input and output voltages where distortion gets objectionable and figure out your gain structure from there.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by catapult
TG, do you have any equipment to measure distortion (or an oscilloscope to look at the shape of a sinewave)? If so, you can determine the input and output voltages where distortion gets objectionable and figure out your gain structure from there.
No I don't. I'll experiment and play with the gain of the digital amp and the settings of the individual speakers on my pre/pro.

Thanks for understanding.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by catapult
It's not that simple, Stereodude. Proper gain structure is essential to get the best performance with these setups. There are three places the signal can clip: the output of the preamp, the input of the receiver (ADC) and the output of the receiver (power amp). In a perfect world, all 3 would clip at the same time.
Of course it's not that simple, but there generally is a lot of headroom to play with. If he simply turns up the volume on the JVC to match that of the original amp it is unlikely to clip.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Stereodude
Of course it's not that simple, but there generally is a lot of headroom to play with. If he simply turns up the volume on the JVC to match that of the original amp it is unlikely to clip.
Which is what I've done and it sounds pretty damn good so far. I'm going to try it on the fronts just to get a sense for how good it can sound. Right now I'm running the rears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.