AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who advised me to look into professional audio monitors (such as those used in mixing and recording studios) because though they

are only available at pro audio dealers (versus consumer loudspeakers which can be found at your local hi-fi dealer), they tend to be less expensive and more neutral sounding than their hi-fi counterparts.

True, pro-monitors tend to be not as pretty, more often then not opting for a more industrial black exterior vs. the wood grain clad exterior of most consumer loudspeakers, but being an audiophile on a budget, the draw of possibly paying less for what would seem to be superior sounding equipment has piqued my curiosity.

Anyone have any experience using such pro monitors as their hi-fi system setup? Also, most such monitors are designated as "near-field" monitors with an optimal working distance of 4-7 feet. How does this effect their performance versus typical consumer hi-fi loudspeakers?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If you are interested in Pro Monitors, try to check out PMC (Professional Monitoring Company). Information on these speakers may be found at www.bryston.ca (Bryston is the North American distributor). They are used in the mixing of the majority of music scores for sound tracks as well as in the recording of music CDs. The IB1s are particularly excellent.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
This came up in one of the Usenet groups frequented by pros, and several posted that at the high end, they actually use home speakers. I have JBL 4310 "Control Monitor" speakers I got for free when a phonetics lab decided to trash them. Dunno how good they are.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Well on the other hand you can get the best of both worlds if you go with M&K speakers. They do cost a bit though.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
If you are interested in Pro Monitors, try to check out PMC (Professional Monitoring Company). Information on these speakers may be found at www.bryston.ca (Bryston is the North American distributor). They are used in the mixing of the majority of music scores for sound tracks as well as in the recording of music CDs. The IB1s are particularly excellent.
Actually, there are a number of professional monitors used throughout the recording industry, so it is not quite accurate to claim PMC is used dominantly. Also, if you select a mixing monitor you have to determine if it is for nearfield listening. Some monitors are placed close to the mixing location--typically at a closer distance than in a home theater situation. The spectral balance is likely to be different and not neccessarily to your liking. Anyone contemplating using true professional monitors in a home situation should certainly audition them first.

Charles Wood

Fosgate Audionics

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I am also interested in using powered pro-monitors for HT. The ones I am interested in are all near field monitors. As far as I know... the near-field monitor has wider and more even dispersion characteristics which would make it optimal for HT. As well, I've heard the only difference that you might hear in a near-field monitor is a drop off in the treble frequencies when listening from "far-field" distances. To echo the original question.... can the audio experts chime in on what makes a near field monitor different from your typical far-field speaker and what are the implications in an HT environment in a typical medium sized room (let's say sitting 15 feet out)? What's the consequence of listening to a near-field monitor at a far-field distance?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
With some of the interest i've been reading in the forum here, does anyone have any insight into what distance = nearfield or mid and far-field distances?

i've been seriously considering an active speaker setup for at least the front 3 speakers in my HT setup. Any experience or prior knowledge out there?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
As TonyGeno linked to-

Depending on your location Mars Music Superstore have stocked some of these, but are now going out of business and some 'deals' may be found, YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.