AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using a PlayStation Eye instead of a bluetooth headset for in-game voice on games like Warhawk?

How was it? Could other people hear you? Did the Eye have to be close by?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
From what I know of video chat experience only. Camera 12 ft away and people can hear just fine. It has great mic pickup as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Yeah Great mic picup, but low filter. So it will pick up your voice and all the game too. So really not ideal for games unless you like to play in silence.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My friend used it the other day playing COD4. he had alot of echo and was very annoying for other players (including myself). I personally recomend looking at websites for cheap deals on BT head sets ( www.slickdeals.net ) you can get ones for 10-20 some times.

-J

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
It'll work in a pinch, but a headset is obviously better. It does a good job of filtering out game noise, but a lot still gets through and you'll occasionally get reverb at worst, or just frustrate your buddies at best.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have the eye and have stopped using it as a mic in cod4. like mentioned above, the in game noise it picks up just annoys people and the mic cannot be turned down enough to filter the noise.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i think it works great. you some feedback but not a lot. i don't like using the headset unless i'm in a chat then i can leave the room and still talk/listen to whats going on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it works pretty good. only thing is, if someone else says "f&%k you" or anything negative like that you will hear that for sure trust me. other than hearing negative music and comments it works well and does the job.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I recommend getting a headset. Most headsets pick up your audio noise, so you need to lower your audio, but the Eye mic picks it up even more. Also, with a headset you can hear the other players through your earpiece, but when using the Eye the other players are heard through your audio system speakers and it is much more difficult to hear what they are saying when you are already turning your volume down.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMarg /forum/post/14163476

I recommend getting a headset. Most headsets pick up your audio noise, so you need to lower your audio, but the Eye mic picks it up even more. Also, with a headset you can hear the other players through your earpiece, but when using the Eye the other players are heard through your audio system speakers and it is much more difficult to hear what they are saying when you are already turning your volume down.

So if I were to use regular old headphones with my audio system and the eye as a microphone (or maybe any usb microphone?), I could hear the game audio and the voice chat on my headphones and could chat via the eye/microphone? This sounds like an ideal solution for me since I almost always use headphones when gaming at night but can't wear a bluetooth headset and headphones at the same time (since I only have 2 ears
).

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT /forum/post/14163534

So if I were to use regular old headphones with my audio system and the eye as a microphone (or maybe any usb microphone?), I could hear the game audio and the voice chat on my headphones and could chat via the eye/microphone? This sounds like an ideal solution for me since I almost always use headphones when gaming at night but can't wear a bluetooth headset and headphones at the same time (since I only have 2 ears
).

Yep - that would work. With the headphones you can crank up the volume without worrying about the mic picking it up. Good idea!

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMarg /forum/post/14166637

Yep - that would work. With the headphones you can crank up the volume without worrying about the mic picking it up. Good idea!

Come to think of it, I could probably clip my bluetooth headset onto the headphones somehow. If it's on the mic part I'm using, it won't matter that the speaker isn't against my ear. I'll have to do some experimenting tonight...

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT /forum/post/14166754

Come to think of it, I could probably clip my bluetooth headset onto the headphones somehow. If it's on the mic part I'm using, it won't matter that the speaker isn't against my ear. I'll have to do some experimenting tonight...

Update: I tried this last night and it worked great. It took about 30 seconds to figure out the best way to attach the BT headset to my headphones so that the mic would pick up my voice like it should.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG /forum/post/14171368

That's a pretty cool idea. What do you think works better, the BT headset as a mic or the Playstation Eye?

I mean if you're using headphones, it shouldn't matter, right?

I don't have any experience with the Eye, but I imagine it would be better as it's already designed to pick up voice when it's across the room from you. As I mentioned, it took some experimenting with the BT headset positioning to get it to where the mic was roughly the same distance from my mouth as it would have been if I was wearing it the "right" way. There seemed to be some static associated with the BT headset, too, but I haven't charged the thing in ages so that might be the cause. Either way, a wired solution like the eye wouldn't have that problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts