AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed PlayOn on my Vista HTPC, used my youngest's PS3 as a client, and all works great using Ethernet to the router from both the PC and the PS3 and HDMI from the PS3 to the Panasonic plasma. Defying Gravity looked as good using HULU as it did from the Comcast DVR.

But...my boy wants his PS3 back. I tried using tubeCore as a front-end for PlayOn on the PC and it worked, but the video quality is 'way worse than the PS3, the picture is letter-boxed, and the playback from, say, Hulu is choppy. I'm using S-Video from the HTPC to the TV.

The HTPC is out-of-date (AMD Athlon c.2006, NVidia 6200 graphics card, 1 GB memory). Would new parts help? Should I invest in an XBOX? I do no gaming so buying a game console just for internet TV seems overkill, but these are pretty powerful boxes and maybe that's the way to go. Or maybe I'm missing something? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
A proper HTPC will work far better than an Xbox or PS3. Both gaming consoles are extremely limited for codec support. If you built a new HTPC, you wouldn't need PlayOn or any other transcoding software on your PC.

If you can re-use the case, PSU and drives from you current setup, you can upgrade to a very capable machine for about $150.

Motherboard - MSI 785GTM $70

CPU - Athlon II X2 2.8GHz $61

RAM - Wintec DDR2 800 2GB set $23

Hook that up to your TV with HDMI and it will kick the crap out of Netflix, Hulu, or anything else you throw at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To have the best experience with hulu on tubeCure try these steps:

1. Use the Zoom feature on your Media Center. Setting it to 3 or 4 will fix the letterboxing problem.

2. As for the choppy video, make sure your PlayOn video quality is set to Auto or Max.

3. For the video quality problem on Hulu, be sure to create an account on hulu.com and go into your Profile and tell hulu.com to default your video playback to High Definition. It is 480p, but still far better than the stock quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot xclanx. I'll try this on my current HTPC before I order parts per cancre23's reply for a more powerful PC. I suddenly realized after posting (d'oh!) that last month I had built a new computer for one of my boys ( http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2346482,00.asp ) so today hooked that up using it's on-board video via HDMI. Good news. HULU and Netflix watch-instantly both work fine through the browser, less good using MC (Win7, no Netflix). Love this forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts