AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forst off, I am sorry if this has been discussed before. I imagine it probably has, but a quick search did not find many results. Maybe I was searching for the wrong terms. The FAQ is very hard to follow now that most of the links are archived posts. Sorry for the newbie question regardless.

I would like to use Microsoft Remote Desktop to control my HTPC from a laptop. RDC works great, but when I log in, the displays connected to the HTPC go black or to the login screen. I am logging in from RDC with the same user name and password as I use for the HTPC. I thought I may be able to connect a secondary monitor (either via S-video or a DVI-VGA adapter) and maybe this second monitor would stay active? But I just tried with S-video and it did not work. Is there a way to set this up to work? I would like to use DVD Lobby/ Main Lobby to browse and control playback of ripped DVD files, but I would sometimes like to control this from a remote laptop. If I do that, I have no way to see the DVD playback or control screens on the theater monitor. Any ideas? I have a Radeon non-pro 9600, VGA out and can also hook up S-video out. I can try with the DVI out as secondary monitor as soon as I get a DVI-VGA adapter. My PC is XP pro, BTW.

PS- I also have a MyHD HDTV card, and it has a seperate VGA/component out on the PCI card. I do not have it set up for loop through. When I RDC to the computer, the myHD output (which is just an HDTV full screen window) stays active. This is the kind of setting I was hoping for on a secondary monitor on the Radeon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
AFAIK, what you are trying to do with RDC is impossible. Reason being that with Windows XP Pro, you can only have one user logged in at any given time. Two users can't work on the same desktop. If you login remotely, all the attached display devices(DVI, VGA, S-Vid, Composite) will only show a login screen (as you've found out) and all display info is piped to your laptop. The reason the MyHD card still works is that it's not a display device so it's not affected.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As said before it's not possible because the way that RDP (remote desktop protocol) works is by redirecting everything to the remote terminal. Now this is problematic for a few things like installing sound drivers and other things like this since it's all being redirected.

What you need is something like VNC (Virtual networking comptuer) or whatever (search google) and this will allow you to remote control the desktop but does NO redirection so it acts as if you where on the console of the actual machine and you can control whatever you want.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You may want to check out Thinsoft's WinConnect. I don't know what there website is though a quick search should find it. I know that Cinemar has it for sale a bunch of other places probably do too. Also I've heard (on the Cinemar forums) that in SP2 for WinXP you'll be able to have 2 concurrent sessions with the change of a registry key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.