AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Banned
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, since we can send and receive certain files from a rptv (through for example dvarchive), i was wondering if we can disguise other file types and fool the player into taking and sending them.

any thoughts on that?

· Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by collin
what would be *very* interesting would be to hack the Linksys NSLU2 network storage device into running a DVArchive server, so we could watch from networked RTVs or PCs without running a PC all the time. Even more interesting would be to get WiRNS up on this thing.

Introduction to hacking this thing:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le85-page1.php
I don't think it is feasible to run DVArchive on the NSLU2. Among other reasons, it only has 32MB RAM, which is the minimum required by Java.

· Registered
8,103 Posts
you can change the extention of a file to .jpg and move it on to the replaytv.

I've backed up the OS of my replays, and on a whim zipped them up, changed the extention to .jpg and copied them on to several replaytvs.

It's more usefull as a stash then anything else

It would be a great place to keep confidential files if you believe in security by obscurity.

· Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
It would be a great place to keep confidential files if you believe in security by obscurity.
Thanks for the tip.

Cow, could you put your replay back in the DMZ, I think you are having

IVS problems again :)

· Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
you can change the extention of a file to .jpg and move it on to the replaytv.

Does it crash or lock up the Replay if you try to view one of those non-.jpg files?

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanV
Does it crash or lock up the Replay if you try to view one of those non-.jpg files?

I put the images in a seperate folder so I've never tried.

I have moved over a picture that the replaytv was not capible of showing. When the replaytv runs into one of those it just shows a message. Something to the effect to "can not display picturename.jpg"

I assume it would do the same if I tried to view the folder with the RTV images.

*note: there is a very small chance the replaytv would try to scan the whole image and screw up (I much doubt this is the case)

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hilbert1862
hey cow, yer PM bin is full!
sorry. I lean towards being a pm packrat.

However, I don't think I understand how PM quotas work. The high peak was 96%; I'd think even that would be enough for one incoming PM.

I just put it down to 73% so I hope I'm good.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
I don't think it is feasible to run DVArchive on the NSLU2. Among other reasons, it only has 32MB RAM, which is the minimum required by Java.
i should have been a bit clearer...obviously running the full DVA would be too much for this type of box, but I was thinking that if a subset of DVA-type functionality that just contained the serve-up-these-files portion could be coded (not in java), that setup would be much preferable to running a PC all the time.

another portion that might be useful would be the web-programming interface, for the same reasons.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
I too have used the photo partition to hold files, mostly when testing stuff out.

I had PM'd Gerry if DVA could allow files with other extensions to be sent, but I never got a response back. Yes, I was looking for a "cheat" or modification for a future release. I still need it because it's tough to rename a lot of files to .jpg just for transferring.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I had PM'd Gerry if DVA could allow files with other extensions to be sent, but I never got a response back.
Sorry about that -- I never check my AVS PM "inbox" -- I really do not use it. I'll go see what is in there after this. In the future though, email is a better route to me (I can't avoid that :)

· Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by collin
i should have been a bit clearer...obviously running the full DVA would be too much for this type of box, but I was thinking that if a subset of DVA-type functionality that just contained the serve-up-these-files portion could be coded (not in java), that setup would be much preferable to running a PC all the time.

another portion that might be useful would be the web-programming interface, for the same reasons.
This seems like an outstanding idea to me, if it could be done easily. I don't like having a PC on 24x7 so I don't run a regularl DVArchive server. But I'm getting a NSLU2 and would LOVE to run it as a mini DVArchive server, leaving it on all the time.

· Registered
6,490 Posts
Gerry, there's a switch in your forum profile that, when enabled, will notify you by email that there's a PM awaiting you. The email even includes a link to make it easier to pick up your mail.

As to PM box being full, it's just an oversight in the application running it. Apparently it notifies you of a full inbox when it can't accept any more messages, not when it receives the last possible message, or even when it's approaching a full status.

· Registered
446 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, couldn't someone get a NAS device, and run DVA on a regular computer, or perhaps a lite linux box, and simply map the storage of DVA to the networked drive? Then adding storage is simple, get the NAS boxes, and just add them to DVA's list of drives.

· Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
If i'm not mistaken, couldn't someone get a NAS device, and run DVA on a regular computer, or perhaps a lite linux box, and simply map the storage of DVA to the networked drive? Then adding storage is simple, get the NAS boxes, and just add them to DVA's list of drives.
Yeah that would probably work but i think the point is that by using the NSLU2 you would not have to have a PC turned on 24/7.

I too would be interested in this if it can be done.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Gerry, there's a switch in your forum profile that, when enabled, will notify you by email that there's a PM awaiting you. The email even includes a link to make it easier to pick up your mail.

As to PM box being full, it's just an oversight in the application running it. Apparently it notifies you of a full inbox when it can't accept any more messages, not when it receives the last possible message, or even when it's approaching a full status.
Nor does the system give you the body of the message when the box is full. It happens for the notification of receiving a PM, but not for the notification when the inbox is full. A design flaw in the system if you ask me. If the PM can't be sent because the box is full the PM has already been "lost" but the full event triggers the email about what happened. It can tell you who attempted to send but not what. Brilliant if you ask me.

· Registered
6,490 Posts
All too common if you ask.

[rant]The world of software is so full of inept designs that it makes me wonder if anyone ever uses the app before it goes gold. The problem is in developers developing tunnel vision about their apps. Common bugs usually occur due to unexpected conditions, if more developers spent time in looking at "what if..." scenarios and handled them correctly, we would have much more robust and reliable software. [/rant]

· Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
All too common if you ask.
I am not a programmer, but in what little modifying of programs I've done in the past, it appears to me that about 5% of a program is or should be devoted to telling it what to actually do, while 95% is or should be devoted to error handling. It's the latter part that seems to be overlooked too often.

It seems that we also have people writing software that don't actually use it. If they did, they'd probably turn out a better product to start with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.